Gemmill Won’t Enter Leesburg Council Race

Bruce Gemmill announced Friday that he will not seek to retain his Leesburg Town Council seat in the November election.

He was appointed to the council in February to fill the unexpired term of Dave Butler, who was appointed mayor. Gemmill said at the time of his appointment that he did not plan to run for election this year. His term expires Dec. 31.

“It has been my honor and pleasure to serve the citizens of Leesburg as a councilmember. I will continue to look out for the best interests of all the people until my term expires December 31st of this year,” Gemmill said. “One thing I’d like to mention is the need for more citizen involvement at the local government level. By this I mean taking the time to pay attention to how hard-earned tax dollars are spent, making known one’s concerns before the Council, running for a Council seat and holding your elected officials accountable.”

Gemmill said he has worked to shake things up, challenging wasteful expenditures and unnecessary projects during the recent budget sessions. “Most citizens don’t know that their money has been used for such things as renovating the skateboard park on Catoctin Circle for a mere $1 million, or that $300,000 is planned for an interactive water fountain at Town Hall,” he stated. Gemmill said he worked with Councilman Tom Dunn to avoid more regulatory burdens on Leesburg’s residents and advocate fiscal responsibility.

“I know people are very busy with their lives, but I encourage Leesburg’s residents to pay closer attention to the goings-on of their local government, the appropriations of their tax dollars, the votes taken by their locally elected officials and to consider running for a Council seat, especially those with business backgrounds,” Gemmill stated. “Historic Leesburg is at a crossroads. The actions taken by the Town Council will affect the future of our town, its residents and its businesses—for good or ill.”

6 thoughts on “Gemmill Won’t Enter Leesburg Council Race

• 2016-05-07 at 9:29 pm

This Gemmill guy sounds very wise. And his comments on citizen apathy is spot on.

As my friend always tells me, you get the government you deserve. And that is why we in Loudoun have the officials we do (Plowman, Randall, Hornberger, Turgeon, Rose, …..)!

• 2016-05-07 at 6:08 pm

Hate to repeat myself, but as I said, it started out as an interesting choice, but not now. And, if I miss my guess, Ms. Fox is a republican, yet Mr. Gimmell had no kind words for her, only for Tom Dunn, who has been the worst elected official in Leesburg history. Dress up a failed pol, and you have a failed pol. Mr. Gimmell is doing us all a service, but not running.

• 2016-05-06 at 5:45 pm

Mr. Gemmill has proven to be eminently over-qualified for the position. It is nice to hear a sane voice come from the council chamber, even if it is only for a few months.

• 2016-05-06 at 5:38 pm

Lawgh – this is very funny and embarrassing, for you, as it is your exact post from 02-23-2016 on the Bruce Gemmill appointment. These are your exact cut & paste words.. “This looks like a good choice – clearly Mr. Gemmill is qualified, and capable. This does, however, demonstrate the problems with several of the current town council members – in particular Tom Dunn, who on paper, and by deed, is clearly not capable of serving as a town council member. Maybe this upcoming election will give the voters a chance to selected a better council. It seems a shame that Mr. Gemmill won’t run. He should.

• 2016-05-06 at 5:31 pm

Amazing that Lawgh/Laugh, never, ever has had a kind word for a republican. Gemmill hasn’t served at his temporary post long enough for the water to even warm and I am truly surprised that he didn’t go against his promise not to run for Town Council. Any other politician would have taken his appointed position, and kindly said I am now running for Town Council after getting the name recognition. Whatever the deal was between Butler, Dunn, Fox, etc. for him to get on the Council, it served the purpose in the short-term and avoided political fallout during a difficult time. This was amazingly a decision made between republicans and democrats, as has been the case in many of our previous governments, well it seems especially until Bush and Obama took office. We have several folks on the Town Council, and running for Town Council that are very, very liberal or conservative, which on a local level will achieve nothing. I can tell you this, we don’t have the pocketbook to implement every liberal-minded ideology. I won’t go into specifics, but am concerned that Evan will try and incorporate many of his “pet projects” into the docket.

• 2016-05-06 at 3:10 pm

First thought, why is it he cannot or will not work with Ms. Fox. Second thought, any one who claims he is aligned with Tom Dunn, is truly incompetent. What started out as an interesting selection, has turned out to have been a huge mistake. Can anyone point to a single thing he has done? End of story.