A house fire in Hamilton and another in Aldie kept Loudoun County Fire and Rescue’s units busy Monday afternoon, causing one minor firefighter injury and significant damages to two homes.
At 12:41 p.m., crews were dispatched to the 100 block of Ivandale Street in Hamilton. The first arriving units found fire and smoke at the rear of the single-family home. Flames had extended up the siding on the exterior of the home and into the attic. The fire was extinguished before progressing further into the attic, limiting damages to the residence.
The residents evacuated before crews arrived and no injuries were reported. The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office determined that the fire was accidental, blamed on a failure to extinguish a portable fire pit before storing. The loss was estimated at $20,000.
Shortly after 2 p.m., fire and rescue crews were dispatched to another fire in the 25000 block of Vacation Place in Aldie. Flames and smoke were coming from the rear of the single-family home. The fire spread into the attic and a second story bedroom before it was extinguished. One firefighter sustained a minor injury and was transported to the hospital for treatment. The Fire Marshal’s Office determined that the fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials. The loss was estimated at $750,000.