Walter Fauntroy, the former Washington, DC, councilman who had been missing since 2012, was held overnight at the Loudoun County Detention Center on Monday. On Tuesday, authorities in District Court agreed to release him.
Fauntroy, 83, landed at Dulles Airport on a flight from Dubai about 8:15 a.m. Monday. He was met by U.S. Customs and Border Protection and transported by Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority to the Loudoun jail just after 12:30 p.m., according to Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office.
He is wanted on a warrant from Prince George’s County for an outstanding arrest warrant for failure to appear and fraud, and for writing a bad check for $55,000 in 2012, according to the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s office.
He was arraigned in Loudoun County District Court on Tuesday on a felony fugitive from justice warrant and then released. The charge was dismissed after Maryland authorities said they were satisfied with the assurance that Fauntroy would appear in Prince George’s County court next month to face the outstanding charges.
According to news reports, the original charge stems from a check written to an event-planning company that organized a ball for President Obama’s inauguration.
Fauntroy went missing shortly after the arrest warrant was issued four years ago and was believed to have fled to the Middle East. The Washington Post reported that he had been living for the past three months in a city just north of Dubai. He told the newspaper the U.S. State Department located him and U.S. officials visited and offered to help him fly home.
Fauntroy helped organize the 1963 March on Washington, founded the Free South Africa movement, and served 20 years as the District’s first delegate to Congress. He also served as pastor at the New Bethel Baptist Church before retiring in 2009.