Historic Pelham Open for Tours on Sunday

One of Loudoun’s most interesting historic houses will be open Sunday for a rare peek into the heights of the Victorian style, when the Mosby Heritage Area Association sponsors a talk and tour of Pelham.

The imposing mansion north of Middleburg was built by Col. Richard H. Dulany as a wedding present for his daughter, Mary Carter Dulany in 1876. After returning from a “Grand Tour” honeymoon in Europe with her husband, Robert, the new Mrs. Neville found land for her home had been carved from a neighboring farm, Crednal, another Dulany-Carter family property.

The Nevilles named their home Pelham after Confederate Major John Pelham, of whom young teenager Mary had become fond during his visits to her home, Welbourne, in October 1862. Pelham was killed five months later at Kelly’s Ford.

Sunday’s program will begin at 2 p.m. in the ballroom of the nearby Middleburg Academy, at 35321 Notre Dame Lane. The program will be led by Morven Park Director of Preservation and Education Jana Shafogoj, who will speak on “Victorian Architecture and Style” as it relates to Pelham. Following Shafogoj’s introduction, attendees will travel to Pelham about a mile away, at 34300 Welbourne Road, for the tour and refreshments.

Tickets are $30 for MHAA members or $40 for non-members. Call 540-687-6681 or go mosbyheritagearea.org to purchase tickets.


Leave a Reply