SISTER PEGGY SANDS DRUMMOND
“Some people have a gift for making life a little brighter,
For sharing someone’s burdens, and for making loads seem lighter,
For lifting someone’s spirits with a gentle word or two
That suddenly can seem to turn the grayest sky to blue….
For being there at lonely times to simply hold a hand
Or give a hug that says, “I care and want to understand.”
Some people have a gift –a special blessing from above –
That makes the world more beautiful and fills it with God’s love.
Our friend, wife, mother, grandmother, Peggy S. Drummond, the daughter of the late William Leonard Sands and Louise Dade Sands was born in Purcellville, VA on May 11, 1927. She departed this life on January 2, 2017 at Ashby Ponds in Ashburn, Virginia.
Peggy attended elementary school in Purcellville Virginia. Peggy next attended and graduated from Episcopal High, a college preparatory boarding school in Lawrenceville, Virginia. She was a member of a variety of clubs while in high school, (drama club, debate club and reporter for the school newspaper to name a few). During high school Peggy met the love of life, Fred E. Drummond of Pleasantville, New Jersey. They married September 3, 1945. Peggy and Fred move to Paducah, Kentucky where she attended junior college and West Kentucky Vocational School.
In 1949 she was licensed as a certified beautician, and opened a successful beauty shop that operated for four years until her church asked her to run and teach at its newly created preschool program. Peggy accepted and had a class of 28 preschoolers. Many times Peggy felt that the children spent more time at her home than they did at school, and she loved every minute of it. Also during her stay in Kentucky, Peggy was very active in civic and social events.
After Fred completed his master degree at Indiana University, they returned to Virginia in 1953 so that she could be near her mother who had been hospitalized for a heart condition. Also in 1953 Peggy gave birth to her only child, a son Jerome, who is now a federal judge in DC. In 1960, after Jerome became school age Peggy accepted a position as secretary at Douglass Elementary School in Leesburg, Virginia, from Douglass Elementary, Peggy moved to J. Lupton Simpson Middle School in Leesburg as secretary in 1982. Peggy loved working with the students at both schools.
Peggy retired from the Loudoun County Public School system after 27 years as a school secretary. She worked at Douglass Elementary School for 18 years and for the next 9 years at J. Lupton Simpson Middle School. At both schools, she freely volunteered after school assisting students. For 50 years Peggy wrote a social column, entitled “Line From Loudoun,” for the Loudoun Times-Mirror. In 2004 she received a Loudoun History Award from the Thomas Balch Library Advisory Commission for recording and preserving Loudoun’s history. Peggy was an active member and leader of Grace Annex United Methodist Church in Purcellville and frequent volunteer. Peggy also volunteered with the American Cancer Society, the Income Tax Program for the elderly and with numerous other civic and charitable groups.
Peggy is survived by her loving husband of over 71 years, Fred; one adoring son, Jerome; daughter-in-law Kiwami; two grandsons Makani and Kahili along with a host of relative and friends.”