Malfunctioning Furnace Blamed in Sterling House Fire

After a close call for a Sterling Park family this morning, Loudoun County Fire and Rescue crews plan to go door-to-door in the neighborhood to offer smoke alarm installations.

            Just before 12:30 this morning, county dispatchers received a 911 call reporting a fire in an East Staunton Avenue home. The two adult residents awoke to find smoke in their house and were advised to evacuate.

            Fire and rescue units from Sterling Park, Kincora, Cascades, and Fairfax County responded to the incident. There was fire on the first and second floors and crews quickly extinguished the blaze.

There were no working smoke alarms in the house. Both residents were checked out at the scene and one was transported to Reston Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. Because of the extent of damages, the family is displaced and will be staying locally.

            The Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was caused by a malfunctioning furnace unit. Damage was estimated at $235,000

Fire-Rescue Department representative said the incident emphasized the importance of having a working smoke alarms in every home. The department’s “Put a Finger on It” program offers free home safety inspections and smoke alarms to all county residents. If your smoke alarms are broken or outdated, the county will replace them with battery powered alarms at no cost and install additional alarms as necessary.  For more information or to schedule an appointment, call the department hotline 703-737-8093 or go to loudoun.gov/smokealarms.

Leave a Reply