Davis Church Meets its End

A church at the corner of Davis Drive and West Church Road in Sterling, which became a landmark for some area residents who saw it as emblematic of old Sterling and of destructive redevelopment, came down today.

The church that used to stand at the corner of West Church Road and Davis Drive near the Guilford neighborhood of Sterling.
(Renss Greene/Loudoun Now)

Over the past two days, heavy machinery has torn down and carried off the remains of Davis Church. The Gothic Revival building went up in the 1870s, but was been updated over the years until the congregation left the building more than 30 years ago. The Virginia Department of Historic Resources found the church ineligible for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places, and supporters of a developer’s plans to raze the building and put up a self-storage facility say it has been neglected since.

Plans to create a pocket park to possibly save parts of the church—from the façade to the organ pipes—fell apart, with nobody willing or able to shoulder the financial burden of maintaining the park.

rgreene@loudounnow.com
@RenssGreene

One thought on “Davis Church Meets its End

  • 2017-05-06 at 8:12 am
    Permalink

    The Sterling United Methodist Church was established in 1875 as the Methodist Church in Guilford. It occupied a one-room building that was also used as a public school located at 1101 W. Church Road. In 1879, the building and one acre of land was purchased for $200 to be used as a church. In 1890, the name of the community had now changed from Guilford to Sterling, thus the name of the church was changed to Sterling Methodist Church. In March 1897, the church burned to the ground and a new building was soon erected on the same site. This church served as the sanctuary for the congregation until 1983 when the congregation moved into their new building at 304 East Church Road.

Leave a Reply