Fireplace Ashes Blamed in Aldie House Fire

The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office issued a new safety warning following a Feb. 15 house fire near Aldie.

At approximately  6:30 a.m. Wednesday the occupant of a Red Hill Road home called 911 to report the fire. Emergency crews from Brambleton, Aldie, Moorfield, Ashburn, and Dulles South responded along with water tankers from Cascades, Middleburg, Leesburg and Hamilton.

The two-story, single family home had fire on a first-floor rear deck that was extending to the second-floor deck. Fire damage was contained to the outside of the structure with moderate smoke damage inside.

Investigators found that the fireplace ashes were placed in a bag placed next to the building outside.

Damages was estimated at $50,000. Two of the three residents suffered minor smoke inhalation and were transported to a hospital for evaluation. There were no injuries to first responders.

Fire-Rescue leaders urged residents to use more care when discarding fireplace ashes, cigarette butts and grill or fire pit remnants. It is important to soak flammable items thoroughly with water and let them cool before disposing into a closed metal container. The metal container should be kept outside away from any structures.

For more information on fire safety and prevention programs, contact the Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office at 703-737-8600 or go to loudoun.gov/firemarshal.

Leave a Reply