Loudoun County High Holds ‘American Monday’ After Pressure from Student

Loudoun County High School is holding “American Monday” today after a student criticized the school for at first turning down the idea to hold a patriotic-themed event.

Daniel Eisert, a senior at the high school, said the student council proposed holding an American-themed spirit day but the suggestion was turned down by the school administration. “The school administration shot it down for being ‘too political’ and ‘might cause bullying’ according to members of the student council,” Eisert wrote in a Loudoun Now letter to the editor.

Wayde Byard, Loudoun County Public Schools’ public information officer, said much of what was communicated by the administration to the student council was mischaracterized through social media. “People were taking second hand information and implying motives that weren’t true,” he said.

“American Monday” today entailed a short rally before school—about 50 students attended, Byard said—and students wore red, white and blue.

“It’s a pretty typical school day,” he added.

dnadler@loudounnow.com
twitter.com/danielle_nadler

13 thoughts on “Loudoun County High Holds ‘American Monday’ After Pressure from Student

• 2017-04-24 at 10:49 am

Looking a gift horse in the mouth….

Glad to see they reversed course but am skeptical of the zero-notice received. How about a follow-up event with enough notice for more participation?

Kudos to student Daniel Eisert who took up an issue and made a difference.

• 2017-04-24 at 11:23 am

DD – you are just an old guy in Sterling. How do you know there was not enough notice for the students from LCHS? You are not the audience here, they are. Your opinion about this or any other event has no bearing on the needs or wishes of these students – stay out of it and let them do the work – Daniel Eisert proved they don’t need your help

• 2017-04-24 at 2:11 pm

What Daniel proved is that LCPS “educators”, who never considered volunteering to protect this country just like yourself, maintains contempt for America and its rule of law. The principal would rather placate law-breakers who steal identities to receive work permits and tax refunds than students who want to honor their own heritage and that of Loudoun.

Nice to know you are one of those who can’t stand to celebrate America, CareerSwitcher. And you are consistent. Whether it is sexual misconduct or PC suppression of speech, you, Byard and the LCHS principal want to keep all things in-house instead of having any semblance of transparency.

• 2017-04-24 at 12:54 pm

If I’ve irritated you, CareerSwitcher, then my day’s objectives are complete.

I’ll move on to commenting on another drunk LCPS employee at work.

[sticking my tongue out at you]

• 2017-04-24 at 2:49 pm

An “old guy?” Wow! Are the opinions of Loudoun’s taxpaying seniors unimportant in your view CS? Are their lifetimes of work and contributing to the community irrelevant to you as well? That sure sounds a lot like age discrimination to me.

“Old guy in Sterling.” Enlighten us more about your depreciating and offensive opinions on senior citizens in Loudoun County. Tell us CS… What are you? Why should your opinions matter more than anyone else?

Mr. D is a Loudoun County taxpayer making his views known in a public forum, precisely as his First Amendment rights were intended to be expressed, and no amount of vitriol by intolerant bullies is going to shut him up.

• 2017-04-24 at 5:57 pm

Thanks, Chris. CareerSwitcher is just one bad hombre.

I don’t comment on the accusation du jour and just let people think whatever their preconceived notions have led them to.

• 2017-04-24 at 6:20 pm

My kid indicated that 50-60% of the +\- 1,400 kids participated in the overall event including all nationalities (to a limited degree). Luttrell should be ashamed of herself for trying to ban the rally/event as she has constantly supported everything left leaning and loathed everything right leaning since 2014 including this cause, Daniel’s Group and the ROTC Program, which is quite saddening. Like many liberals currently on our Town Council, and some who tried running for the position (I won’t call you out right now), you have quietly wanted to dissolve our Independence Day Parade as it has become offensive to those who don’t and will never attend, sadly. It is too offensive. Too offensive because the American Flag is in the scenario, much like the reason Luttrell wanted to ban this day for Daniel and the other students. This day wasn’t for Daniel per say, it was for Luttrell and the Liberals, and the Liberals lost. End of story….

• 2017-04-24 at 6:25 pm

Sorry, David, Chris, Brian. You simply don’t matter to students at LCHS. They don’t need middle aged guys from across the county telling them what to do. David’s suggestion that the students hold a follow up event is an insult. They might hold one. They might not. They might do something totally different. I can guarantee you that it will be their idea, not his. Please no jumping into this local situation and trying to be part of it. You don’t know the school. You don’t know the students. No need for any of you.

• 2017-04-24 at 7:22 pm

I know you never need my help with anything Mr. D. I just tire from the one way street CS and company live on when it comes to Freedom of Speech, Expression, and Opinion, that doesn’t goose step march with their own rigid, uptight, party slogans.

This newspaper, it’s editorial page, and the ability to write a letter to the editor without fearing censorship, or a knock on the door, are gifts given to us from the Founders. All of us. Yet these people are determined to suppress any thoughts they don’t like. Most heinous of all, they’re working hard at filling our kids heads with the bizarre notion that free speech is not really free speech. Anything they don’t agree with is suddenly “hate speech,” whatever that is. They fear intellectual debate and the expression of any idea different from what they’re told. Even Bernie understands what a threat closed minds are to all of us.

In case you missed it Mr.D check out “BuckBanzaii’s” response to Scran’s last frantic column. Best rhetorical comment in a long time.

• 2017-04-25 at 9:42 am

CareerSwitcher, do you really think the audience is the high school kids? Some may tune into this article, but I’m guessing the majority won’t.

The audience is the grown ups of Loudoun who need to know the anti-American drivel that LCPS pushes out. All I can say is thank God for the President Trump. He is finally pushing public school alternatives with real money and the Supreme Court is on the verge of ruling that the state’s withholding of funds from religious schools is tantamount to discrimination. Oh, how the tide has turned. I look forward to the day, coming soon, when parents have a real choice between sending their kids to these liberal indoctrination factories and real schools.

• 2017-04-25 at 9:58 am

My tax money supports Loudoun County Public schools CS. Does yours? I’ll say whatever I please concerning anything to do with the school system I contribute to. More succinctly, I went to County and was on the student council, just like Mr. Eisert. I’m a whole lot more local than you.

Your ageism and sexism is showing through CS.

• 2017-04-25 at 1:20 pm

Chris – your history of going to high school may be special to you but I cannot imagine any teenager respecting you for being an alumni. No one is questioning you right to post. Rather, I am challenging you expectation that anyone, especially the students at LCHS, care about what you think at all.

• 2017-04-25 at 5:43 pm

None of my comments are directed at students; they’re directed at you CS. Your hatred for any person’s thoughts which don’t conform with your own is palpable. What a really sad place to be in.

Based on your comments above it appears your inner Khmer Rouge is screaming to get out. Maybe some yoga would help with your anger.
    It matters not if others don’t care; I don’t participate in public discourse for other people. I engage in it because the health and exercise of our First Amendment requires it. Not everyone is so closed-minded and intolerant CS. Get used to it.