Maddox Sworn in As Leesburg’s Newest Council Member

Six days after winning Leesburg’s Town Council election, Vanessa Maddox was sworn in to her new post Monday night.

It was standing-room-only crowd at her swearing in ceremony at Town Hall’s lower level conference room, as supporters and well wishers filled out the space. After taking the oath from Clerk of the Circuit Court Gary Clemens, Maddox thanked those who made her successful election bid possible, particularly her husband, Roger, and two sons.

“A great deal of you had something to do with me standing here today,” she said to the ceremony attendees. “I feel so blessed and so honored to have been able to go on this journey.”

Joking that she’s not sure if she knew what she was getting herself into, Maddox said she saw “a need that needed to be filled.” Her successful election makes history for the town, as she becomes its first African American woman council member.

“One of the main reasons I did this is so that my sons would be able to see their mom step out as a leader, as a mom, as a woman, as a wife, as a business owner, as a dog owner, and I just want them to know there is nothing in this world that you cannot do. I’m a walking, living testament to that,” she said.

krodriguez@loudounnow.com

Newly installed Leesburg Town Councilwoman Vanessa Maddox takes a selfie following her swearing-in ceremony. [Douglas Graham/Loudoun Now]

6 thoughts on “Maddox Sworn in As Leesburg’s Newest Council Member

• 2017-11-14 at 10:24 am

That room must have been Democrat standing room only cause VM said she owes so much to them. She ran on the “I am Democrat vote for me” ticket. Anyone see her going door to door? Anyone see more then 3 yard signs. Anyone see mailers or ads in the paper. And her mastery of the issues is, well let’s just say amazing. This is without a doubt the most ill-informed Town Council Leesburg has ever had.

• 2017-11-14 at 11:06 am

GoodOle(Bad!) is at it again. And what, her opponent was a what? That’s right, he was the republican in the race, and he lost, very convincingly. Ms. Maddox will do just fine. Clearly, the voters thought she was better than the opponent. And, for course, the most ill informed member that the Leesburg Town Council has ever had, is Tom Dunn.

• 2017-11-14 at 5:22 pm

In the eyes of a government leader, and liberal, the word convincingly equates to roughly less than 400 votes out of roughly less than 12,500 votes in a Town that votes 2-1 Democrat. Yeh, Democrat Leader, do the math and tell me why Gwen and Neil both dropped out of the Race. Oh yeh, Gwen had her hair modeling career and real estate firm to focus on. Neil had, well, artistic pursuits, and I suppose, grander thoughts of waiting until 2018″ which makes no, no utter sense, unless someone in the Town promised him something for bowing out, which wouldn’t be the first or last time. Fully expect Gwen Pangle to be handed Ken Reid’s Town Council seat with a smile. Now, the EDC, Steering Commission, Developers, and everyone else can be out in the open with their full collusion and we will have it in video, emails, calls, etc.

• 2017-11-15 at 7:17 am

“One of the main reasons I did this is so that my sons would be able to see their mom step out as a leader, as a mom, as a woman, as a wife, as a business owner, as a dog owner …” While these are a laudable reasons for running for political office, except perhaps “as a dog owner,” I hope that Ms. Maddox ran to serve the people of Leesburg, although these days politicians generally run to serve (and enrich) themselves.

• 2017-11-15 at 9:31 am

Roving reporter here to interview new Council member. Hi Ms Maddox what is your position on Down Town parking: I’m democrat. OK how bout your ideas for the: I’m democrat. Great what is the best way: i’m democrat. That is nice but you must: I’m democrat. Can you explain: I’m democrat. Just one more qu: I’m democrat. Thank you Ms Maddox it has: I’m democrat. Ok Bye: I’m democrat. I’m democrat, I’m democrat, I’m democrat, I’m dem…..

• 2017-11-15 at 12:59 pm

Amazing that there are people who only wait for the opportunity to put people down. I first met Vanessa when she was one of the few people who were protecting Secretary Perdue’s visit to Catoctin ES earlier this year to announce the decision to cut into the healthy that Michele Obama had championed as part of a Healthy Eating program. That alone made me think that Vanessa would be a good representative on the council– yes I am Democrat–got Vanessa!!!