Gas Tank Storage Area Catches Fire at Monroe Tech Center

A fire at the Monroe Technology Center in Leesburg early this morning has been ruled accidental by the Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office.

Calls to the county dispatching center reporting a large fire at the school on Children’s Center Road began shortly after midnight. Units From Leesburg, Hamilton, Purcellville, Lansdowne and Round Hill were called. They found a fire behind the school in an area used to store welding gas cylinders. Several of the cylinders had exploded and the fire was spreading up the school’s rear wall.  A second alarm was brought units from Lucketts, Ashburn, Moorefield, and Brambleton as well as the county’s Hazardous Materials team and Fairfax County’s Light and Air unit.

After the fire was extinguish in the outside cylinder storage area, crews  confirmed that there was no extension into the school.

Crews remained on the scene for several hours securing several leaking gas cylinders  and confirming that there was no extension into the roofing material.

Damage was estimated at less than$50,000.  The school will open for classes as normal Monday.

Leave a Reply