Letter: Fariborz S. Fatemi, McLean

Editor, Last week Walmart announced job cuts of 400-500 people. This is after having shut 60 Sam’s Club warehouses. This is the tip of the iceberg.

AT&T, Comcast, Carrier Industries, to name a few, have also announced job cuts or closings. The captains of industry, given a huge tax cut, were supposed to create jobs, not cut them, open new industries, not close them. Most CEOs have said profits will be distributed to shareholders, not workers. This is what has happened so far since the Republican tax scheme that Barbara Comstock voted for.

This is the same scheme that gives corporations 70 percent of the cuts and makes them permanent. The other 30 percent to taxpayers, who need the cut the most, will expire in a few years. Income inequality is off the charts and corporations have had record profits for years and did not need the money. Further, by removing the Affordable Care individual mandates, health care premiums will increase and an estimated 13 million people will lose their health care. By adding close to $2 trillion to the deficits,

Republicans like U.S. Rep. Barbara Comstock will shed crocodile tears about deficits. And then, she and her colleagues will try to gut the benefits of Medicare and Social Security that so many rely on. This Republican tax scheme should be seen for what it is. A bad deal for most of us and a bonanza for the rich and the corporations, many of whom have not paid their share of taxes for years.

Fariborz S. Fatemi, Mclean

One thought on “Letter: Fariborz S. Fatemi, McLean

  • 2018-01-30 at 10:17 pm
    Permalink

    Does it not occur to some that these layoffs are done as part of a company’s need to restructure otherwise they risk losing money and would potentially have to make bigger job cuts because of their lack of management? Those who seem quick to criticize recent job cuts must not have done much homework, otherwise they would have found companies such as AT&T and Comcast had been hinting, if not outright saying in the past year that this was being considered. They would have learned that Wal-Mart’s recent executive job cuts were needed in order to compete with Amazon, and those who unable to secure employment under the restructuring would be given severance pay. Why do some make it out as Wal-Mart just dropped these employees with nothing?
    I suppose it would be more difficult to vilify the new tax plan had they knew these job cuts had nothing to do with the tax plan, restructuring a company takes time and it occasionally needs to be done in order to continue to be competitive. If a company can’t compete, they go out of business and a lot more people lose their jobs.

    As for the sunset in the tax plan, not only was it required to be in the plan, it too, just like companies, must be re-evaluated and possibly restructured so to say, every so often. Only a fool would believe what works today will work seven years from now. It will be up to a future congress as to whether or not the newly passed tax plan still aligns with the country’s needs. Besides, I would bet had Congress passed the tax plan to be unending, the very same people would be complaining. Let’s get real, this isn’t really about the tax plan or job cuts, it’s about the dislike of the administration, not much different than many of those who found fault in every thing the previous administration had done. It’s one thing to have a reasonable debate, but it’s something else to just want vilify the opposition. People who choose to make it there mission and go out of their way to do whatever they can to make the other team look bad don’t genuinely want to do what’s best for everyone, no, they want only what’s best for them and their team. The inability to compromise says as much. One needn’t look any further than the democrats and republicans and the division within their own parties for evidence of the inability and unwillingness to compromise. Not only does this keep from anything getting done, it makes our country look like the toddler room in a daycare center. I can only imagine what message this sends to our children and young adults who will be the next generation of leadership, one can only hope they are able to see this foolishness and be better.

Leave a Reply