Jimmerson Opens 2019 Board of Supervisors Race with First Campaign Announcement

The 2019 Board of Supervisors race got off to an early start Saturday when Purcellville Councilwoman Karen Jimmerson announced she will run for the Blue Ridge District seat.

The Democrat is serving in her first elective office, with a term that expires June 30. She will not seek as second term and will instead focus on her campaign for the county board.

Jimmerson made the announcement Saturday on her personal Facebook page.

“Although I know I am the qualified candidate to run this race, some people have the belief that the recent ‘turmoil’ in Purcellville may hurt my candidacy. Well, they are wrong!” she wrote.

Much of her announcement addressed the series of ongoing investigations into the conduct of the town’s management staff. The interim town manager, police chief and town attorney are all on administrative leave following a series of allegations of mismanagement or conflicts of interest. So far, the town has spent $169,583 on the situation, including $95,000 for salary expenses of the managers and two other employees on paid leave and of the new interim town manager.

“This Council has operated with integrity and taken every reasonable action along the way. We are engaging the new interim town manager in conducting an operational audit to ensure that something like this won’t happen again. In the end, I am confident this ‘turmoil’ will be for the best and will lead to efficiencies that will save the Town thousands,” she wrote. “The investigation will weed out those who are intent to place our government back in the hands of the developers.”

Jimmerson’s husband, Richard, campaigned as an independent for the Blue Ridge District seat in 2015, losing to Tony Buffington (R) by 1,288 votes. In her statement, Jimmerson said his campaign was designed to promote her political future and set the stage for her 2019 board race.

“I managed every aspect of his campaign,” she wrote. “We knew winning was a long shot but we chose to do so to prepare the seat for my run in 2019 and so that Buffington would not run unopposed with no platform to use against him in 2019.”

Jimmerson said that she has positioned herself well for a district campaign.

“I understand the political landscape and the electorate in the Blue Ridge District with strong name recognition in the County and District. I have been able to influence, build consensus, and execute with great efficiency,” she wrote. “I have managed to thwart personal attacks toward me over the years effectively. My political record solidifies and reflects my record of developing a clear path forward and leveraging the citizen’s vision to successful votes on their behalf.”

She said her main goal is to better represent the Blue Ridge District. She said previous district supervisors Janet Clarke and Buffington haven’t followed through on their promises.

“You’re either ineffective or you’re part of the problem,” Jimerson said. “I just don’t see where they have really fought for any votes for our district.”

She pointed to the Board of Supervisors’ recent 5-4 vote to allow construction of a data center along the western banks of Goose Creek, which Buffington opposed.

”I see the same type of vote playing out over and over again,” Jimmerson said. “As a legislator in Purcellville, I know what it feels like to be in the minority.”

Patrick Szabo contributed to this report.

12 thoughts on “Jimmerson Opens 2019 Board of Supervisors Race with First Campaign Announcement

• 2018-01-29 at 1:26 pm

“You’re either ineffective or you’re part of the problem,” Jimerson said.

Well she is definitely part of the problem in Purcellville! What a hypocrite!

The only reason she isn’t running again for Purcellville town council right is because she knows she would loose… people in the town are furious with the Towns lack of leadership.

• 2018-01-29 at 2:07 pm

Wait, is this a joke? Our beautiful community has becoming a national laughingstock from all of the recent mismanagement. Ms. Jimmerson, either you had no idea what was going on in your own Town Hall, or you chose to ignore it, and I don’t know which is worse.

I have voted democrat for most of my life, but this is not a matter of parties, this is a matter of qualifications. I don’t know who will be running against Ms. Jimmerson, but they can almost certainly count on my vote. She has no business running our Town any more, and if she cannot oversee our peaceful community and keep an eye on our relatively small budget, there is no question in my mind that her becoming our County supervisor would be nothing less than catastrophic.

• 2018-01-29 at 2:39 pm

Earth to Jimmerson, you are spouting goobletygook speak like Fraser. It sounds as though you do not support the proposed data center although you did not clearly state your position. Learn something about the district before you decide to run to represent it. Had you done that in Purcellville perhaps you wouldn’t have made such a mess of things in four years. First, the data center is not located in the Blue Ridge district, it is in the Catoctin district. Second, the supervisor voted against the proposal. How is that not “fighting” for the district? Supervisor Buffington was fairly vocal about his opposition to the proposal in the papers. You sound more like Captain Max Pruss or Captain Edward Smith to me.

• 2018-01-29 at 2:39 pm

Karen Jimmerson has so much hatred for Christians that she accused Congresswoman Barbara Comstock of being anti-semetic….for posting John 3:16. On Easter Sunday.

I’m not impressed at her announcement. She is running for higher office because she can’t take the heat of her incompetence on the Purcellville Town Council.

• 2018-01-29 at 3:07 pm

I’m sorry but THIS “with no platform to use against him in 2019” speaks VOLUMES. I’ve had enough of divisive politics and Tony Buffington has proven he is here to serve not divide.
    Tony Buffington is a stellar example of true representation of his community and our needs. He ACTIVELY engages with members and takes action. I have seen an experienced that first-hand. It’s impressive and a breath of fresh air. And here’s the thing…as politically informed as I am, I don’t even know if he’s a Republican or Democrat…and that SAYS EVERYTHING! He’s proven he works for people over party.

• 2018-01-29 at 3:09 pm

I’m with PvilleLivin… Is this a joke? I’ve seen a lot of polticans all over the county announce they’re running for higher office, but this might be the most bizarre ever. She sounds like a narcissistic bully. “Me, me, me, I’m the best. I’m the greatest, I know everything. Pay no attention to me not really wanting to serve the town, it was just a ego trip… I’m moving on from you people.”

She admits her husband wasn’t really interested in running for the board seat, but that run was all about her? And she “managed every aspect” of his losing campaign? Say What?

The quarter of a million P-ville tax dollars (and counting) she’s been part of wasting is a good thing, and will save the town “thousands?”

The most bizarre political announcement I’ve ever seen.

• 2018-01-29 at 3:39 pm

If the Republicans are this upset she’s probably a pretty good candidate.

• 2018-01-29 at 4:09 pm

I think her record of disastrous town leadership and failed campaign lobbying speaks for itself. Democrats can do better, and hopefully there will be a Primary that gives us a chance to.

• 2018-01-29 at 5:47 pm

Ms. Jimmerson’s bid for Board of Supervisors is rather ill-conceived on at least two fronts.

Firstly, a candidate should be coming from a position of success and a positive track record. Yet Jimmerson’s current position on the Purcellville Town Council only serves to highlight her inability to help effectively steer a town. How on earth can we presume that she would do better steering the largest district in Loudoun or helping address the needs of an entire county? Moreover, why would she proudly cite managing her husband’s failed campaign in 2015? The fact that he lost is not something for which to be proud. Instead it is yet another example of her poor foresight, deluded thinking, and inability to create positive outcomes.

Secondly, Jimmerson’s attack on the current Blue Ridge Supervisor is unfounded. Supervisor Buffington has shown time and again both his resolve and commitment to his entire district – including the rural and transition areas. He has worked with his colleagues on the Board of Supervisors and partnered with local leaders such as Mayor Vance of Hillsboro to address the concerns of his constituents. You need only look at Buffington’s voting record and actions over the last two years to see that he truly cares about Western Loudoun and works tirelessly for the area’s best interests.

• 2018-01-30 at 1:43 pm

Need to remind myself to make a big contribution to Tony Buffingtons campaign next year

• 2018-01-31 at 6:57 am

It would be nice if Buffington cared as much about all of Loudoun instead of just the western portion. His title is Loudoun County Supervisor then the NIMBY, Blue Ridge District. He voted for a bridge in the Transportation summit. Either he didn’t research it or was willing to sell out eastern Loudoun for the benefit of western Loudoun either way a failure on his part and did he vote to include the Potomac River bridge in the BoS legislative package that was sent to Richmond. Yeah, hot stuff in the Blue Ridge District!

• 2018-01-31 at 1:30 pm

Purcellville gets its ideas from Loudoun County. Breweries and wineries sprouting up with no septic permit, no zoning permit, no building permit but they are open to the public. When is our leadership going to start leading and stop letting the tail wag the dog.