Extension Cord Blamed in Lovettsville House Fire

Improper use of an extension cord has been identified as the cause of a Feb. 14 fire that damaged a Lovettsville area home.

Crews were dispatched to the Downey Mill Road home after a 911 call at 4:45 a.m. Wednesday. Units responding from Lovettsville, Purcellville, Lucketts, Hamilton and Frederick Coounty, MD, found heavy fire and smoke conditions at the one-story home. The residents, having been awakened by family pet, had safely evacuated. Additional fire-rescue crews were called to support both the safety and rural water supply operations.

No injuries were reported.

The American Red Cross responded to the scene to assist the displaced occupants.

The Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was accidental, caused by an electrical failure involving an extension cord in the garage. The agency emphasized that major appliances—including refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens—should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used as permanent wiring for any appliances.

For more information on electrical safety, go to loudoun.gov/firemarshal or call 703-737-8600.

Leave a Reply