Chipotle in Sterling Closed Following Customer Illnesses

The Chipotle restaurant on Triple Seven Road in Sterling was closed Tuesday and will undergo “a complete sanitization” following reports of customers getting sick after eating there.

The incident got national attention, in part because the company has had previous problems with viral outbreaks and contamination.

Today’s concerns are focused on a virus, likely spread by a human carrier, rather than a problem with the food supply chain, authorities said. At least 13 customers reported illnesses after eating at the Sterling location Friday and Saturday.

The reported symptoms were consistent with the highly contagious norovirus.

A similar outbreak was reported at a Boston Chipotle restaurant in 2015, when 80 customers reported symptoms of the virus after eating there. Last year, the company had an E.coli contamination problem that hit its restaurants in 14 states.

Leave a Reply