Discarded Smoking Materials Blamed in Lovettsville House Fire

The fire that ripped through a Lovettsville home early Saturday morning was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, according to Loudoun County Fire-Rescue.

At 5:15 a.m. Oct. 7, fire and rescue crews from Lovettsville, Purcellville, Hamilton, Frederick County, MD, and Lucketts were called to the fire at 27 Cooper Run St.

The family of six had been alerted to the fire by a neighbor and were located safely outside when firefighters arrived. Three family pets were found dead inside the home. According to a fundraising page set up for the family, one dog, Snoop, survived the fire. Three firefighters were transported to a local area hospital for medical evaluation.

Damage was estimated at $525,000.

The fundraising page has raised $4,505 as of Monday morning. Donations can be pledged here.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, smoking materials are the leading cause of fire deaths in the United States. Safety tips include:

  • If you smoke, smoke outside.
  • Put cigarettes out in a metal or ceramic container filled with sand or use deep, wide ashtrays on a sturdy table.
  • Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water to make sure they are out before putting them in the trash.
  • Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used
  • Don’t smoke if you’re sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medication that causes drowsiness.
  • Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children’s sight and reach.

Loudoun County Fire and Rescue’s “Put a Finger on It” smoke alarm program offers free home safety surveys and smoke alarms to residents. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call the department hotline 703-737-8093 or go to loudoun.gov/smokealarms.

Leave a Reply