Heat Lamp Blamed in Sterling House Fire

The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office determined that a fire that destroyed an Oak Grove home Sunday was caused by a heat lamp that was placed too close to combustible materials.

At 6:20 p.m. Dec. 10, the county dispatch center received multiple 911 calls reporting on a house on fire on Oakgrove Road in Sterling. Fire and rescue units from Moorefield, Fairfax County, Sterling, Kincora, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority responded to the incident.

Firefighters arrived to find a two-story, single-family home with significant fire showing from the attic.  A second alarm brought additional units from Sterling, Fairfax County and Ashburn.

Residents were not home at the time of the fire.

Because of the size of the blaze, crews were limited to exterior operations to knock down the bulk of the fire.

There were no injuries reported.

The Red Cross responded to assist the 17 family members— 10 adults and seven children—who were displaced by the fire. A neighboring home received damage to the siding but the occupants were able to remain in the home.

Investigators determined the fire originated under the rear deck as a result of a heat lamp placed too close to combustible materials.

Damages were estimated at $714,000.

Leave a Reply