Nearly eight decades after closing down, Bluemont’s E.E. Lake General Store is set for a grand reopening at 10 a.m. this Saturday, May 12.
The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors, Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure, Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services and the Bluemont Citizens Association will hold the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the store, followed by building tours and a reception. The building will serve as a Bluemont-area welcome center and rest stop for bicyclists and pedestrians.
The store was built by Edward E. Lake in 1901. For the first three decades, it was run as a grocery store, in addition to housing a branch of the Loudoun National Bank for the first six years. It closed in the 1930s, before being opened back up for two more years a decade later. The Bluemont Post Office was also located in the store until it closed in 1945.
Renovations on the store began in 2016, when the county government hired the Lantz Construction Co. to improve the restrooms, parking and overall building code compliance. In all, the work cost $568,000 and was funded through state transportation grant funds and county funds.
The store, located at 18351 Railroad Street, is a part of the Bluemont National Register Historic District and the county’s Historic and Cultural Conservation District.