Loudoun Supervisors Plan New Construction Waste Site at Landfill

The Board of Supervisors’ finance committee has recommended building a new construction demolition debris disposal unit at the county landfill off Evergreen Mills Road.

According to a county staff report, each year, the landfill takes more than 150,000 tons of waste material from homeowners, local contractors, and private waste haulers, which represents about 30 percent of the approximately 500,000 tons of waste generated in the county. The other 70 percent is taken by private haulers—such as trash collection companies—to regional facilities outside the county.

Of the waste coming into the landfill, about 85 percent is buried onsite, with the rest recycled or used. Of that 85 percent, 22 percent is construction and demolition debris. And despite rising fees on contractors dumping construction debris, that waste increased by 98 percent from 2015 to 2017. That is estimated to have taken nearly 20 years off the expected useful life on the landfill, to 65 years.

County staff members have identified 40 acres to set aside for a new construction debris disposal unit, at an estimated $5.1 million cost to the county. That is expected to be paid for out of revenues from landfill fees.

The finance committee unanimously recommended the full board send staff to seek permitting from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality for the new unit.

One thought on “Loudoun Supervisors Plan New Construction Waste Site at Landfill

  • 2018-07-18 at 7:28 pm
    Permalink

    I would very much like to see Loudoun have some kind of reuse ability at the landfill. I see so many still useful
    Items being tossed every week when I’m there. The ability to take those
    Items and use them would delay disposal of so much. I know there are landfill in the area that have made items available
    For a donation to charity….I’d like to think Loudoun could figure out a way to setup something like that.

Leave a Reply