Fox Accepts LCRC Endorsement in Leesburg Council Race After All

Two weeks ahead of Election Day, Leesburg Vice Mayor Suzanne Fox has decided to accept the Loudoun County Republican Committee’s endorsement.

Fox in August announced her decision not to seek the LCRC’s endorsement as she had done for her first council run in 2014.

“I thought it was important that I do everything I can to reduce partisanship at the town level. It’s what’s best for a unified Leesburg,” she said at the time.

But during Monday night’s LCRC meeting, she was put forward for endorsement by former state delegate Randy Minchew. Fox was not present at the meeting, as she was on a plane back from Idaho after visiting her newborn granddaughter.

In an email to Loudoun Now, Minchew said he made the motion to endorse Fox “at the request of a number of Leesburg Republicans.” Creal French, the Leesburg District chairman of the LCRC, seconded the motion and it passed unanimously. Minchew said he did not inform Fox of his intention to make the motion, but did ask her husband, Bill, if she would accept the endorsement.

Fox this week said she was pleased to have the Republican committee’s support, although it does not change her desire to run an independent, nonpartisan campaign.

“I gladly accept any endorsement from any respectable organization, if they do so based on merit only,” Fox said. “I believe that town councils should remain non-partisan (as mandated by the commonwealth) and I have tried to act accordingly both as a member of the council and during my campaign. I made the decision not to solicit the endorsement of any political party to reinforce this stance. However, like everyone else, I have my own views on state and local politics. The vast majority of those issues have no place in town governance, which allows us to collaborate closely with individuals who may not share our views on national issues and political candidates.”

She becomes the third Leesburg Town Council candidate to be endorsed by the Republican committee, along with mayoral candidate Tom Dunn and council candidate Kari Nacy. The Loudoun County Democratic Committee has endorsed Kelly Burk for mayor and Marty Martinez, Vanessa Maddox and Neil Steinberg for Town Council.

Councilman Ron Campbell now is the only candidate on November’s ballot to not be endorsed by either political party. Campbell had vowed to run a nonpartisan race for mayor following his LCDC-endorsed run for the council in 2016.

krodriguez@loudounnow.com

15 thoughts on “Fox Accepts LCRC Endorsement in Leesburg Council Race After All

• 2018-10-25 at 12:09 pm

What a surprise! NOT! It is not at all surprising that Ms. Fox played the game. The game of, I am an independent person, until a few weeks before the election, and then I am not. This move shows more about Ms. Fox’s character, than anything else she could have done.

• 2018-10-25 at 7:46 pm

Lot’s of untruth in this story. Did the reporter even ask one in depth question?
    1. Minchew wants more partisanship in local elections with this endorsement, but he sponsored legislation in Richmond to stop partisanship in local elections. Which face was he talking out of so I know next time when he runs for office? Does Fox vote for his high-density development projects?
    2. Fox had no idea this was coming but her husband knew she would accept?
    3. Fox husband must be the real Councilwoman. He announces she would not accept endorsement at the GOP meeting, he announced she still did not want endorsement 10 days ago at the debate, and now he knows she wants endorsement even though she keeps saying she does not! Wow
    4. Says what is “best for a unified Leesburg” is no partisanship. She said what is the very best and now she is causing less than the best when she could have given her very best. Is she a second or third or even fourth best candidate, official or even resident?
    5. She is taking a partisan endorsement but is still non-partisan. She thinks everyone is stupid I guess?
    6. She said she did not solicit any endorsement but she did in August and when offered to her she had her husband turned it down.
    7. Now the biggest lie. Mixing partisan help during an election and Council members taking sides based on Party. She knows Council has no parties and votes are not made along partisan lines. She got the GOP endorsement 4 years ago and often votes for higher taxes and more regulations and bigger government.

Her honest answer would have been that she did not take the endorsement in August so she could use those 3 months to work with Liberal Ron Campbell. They could try to make each other into something their political party friends might accept. She also did not want to support the GOP ticket. She did not want to be seen as GOP in a year that does not look good for the GOP. And because she is still claiming to be independent and GOP endorsed at the same she will have two competing groups handing out a sample ballot or other material for her at the polls. The only thing Fox is independent of is the truth.

• 2018-10-26 at 4:12 pm

Why anyone would want to represent the commenters above is above my pay grade. Many thanks to Suzanne Fox and the other board members for doing a admirable job in Leesburg. If I could I would shelter the council from the remarks by no-nothings. Notice the do not offer any thoughts on how to improve Leesburg just chickenbleep shots. What next Lawgh will tell us the snow removal has been crummy this summer and GOL will tell us she worked with, wait for it, a liberal, oh my! Results matter, see Suzanne and ignore the grumpy boys.

• 2018-10-29 at 10:59 am

The character issues matter! The honesty issue matters! Character and honesty means you do what you say you are going to do. You keep your promises. You don’t deceive the public. Ms. Fox fails on the character and honesty test. Simple as that.

• 2018-10-29 at 3:58 pm

While normally I would not inject into a thread about Suzanne, since the article and comment thread referenced me personally I will make an exception in this case.

Suzanne was very torn about taking the endorsement from the LCRC. She has many friends and supporters within the LCRC, and knew that she would be at a disadvantage on election day if she was not on one of the sample ballots. However, party endorsements typically come with a host of strings attached, and her fear was that by soliciting the endorsement she would be committing to the whole “team-sport” campaign mentality that she believed to be contrary to the spirit of non-partisan local elections. Accordingly, I informed the LCRC that “Suzanne was not seeking the endorsement of the LCRC at this time.”

Since that time, both Suzanne and I had been contacted by friends and supporters who were concerned about Suzanne’s chances of re-election without an endorsement. Since Suzanne believed that it was possible to win without an endorsement, we assured our friends that Suzanne had made the right decision, and that not seeking the endorsement freed her up to run the type of campaign that she believed was appropriate. A few folks asked if Suzanne would be willing to accept an endorsement if it was based on merit only…no strings attached. While this seemed an unlikely hypothetical given the practices of both political parties, Suzanne and I briefly discussed the possibility and she concluded that a purely merit-based endorsement would be welcomed from “any respectable organization,” including one or both of the political parties.

Last week, Former Delegate Randy Minchew invited me to attend the LCRC meeting. While I am not a member of the LCRC, I have attended many meetings in the past and so this was not an unusual request. When I was again asked, at the meeting, if Suzanne would be willing to accept a no-strings merit-based endorsement, I answered that it was my understanding that she would. A motion was made, and, after some discussion, Suzanne was endorsed unanimously…without soliciting the endorsement.

Lawgh is absolutely right about one thing…The character issues DO matter. Thankfully, Suzanne is one of the most honest and principled individuals I know, and ANY fair-minded, rational person who has spent more than about 5 minutes with her would conclude the same. She is precisely the sort of leader Leesburg needs to keep.

• 2018-10-30 at 10:45 am

Wow, Bill Fox. Make matters worse for Suzanne Fox! Now we have an admission that this whole thing was orchestrated to give Ms. Fox an endorsement that she can, first use and second deny she is using, and third, look the victim of Bill Fox’s actions to interfere, and fourth, look dishonest, all at the same time. Wow. What a plan. If this is Ms. Fox’s idea of leadership, Leesburg should reject Ms. Fox in this election.

• 2018-10-30 at 2:00 pm

Neither Suzanne nor I have anything to hide, and I was only trying to be as transparent as possible. If you believe that this was some sort of bombshell admission, so be it. But you come across as a little desperate and unhinged, and have effectively demonstrated the the type of unthinking partisanship that has degraded both politics and public discourse in our town.

You can vote for Suzanne…or don’t. But I would encourage you and anyone else following this thread to evaluate each candidate based on their individual attributes and/or accomplishments. Don’t give away your vote to a political party in a non-partisan election.

• 2018-10-31 at 9:10 am

Beware of ANYONE who has to say about themselves “I am Honest” or honestly. That trait is seen in someone by action or deed. It is clear that both the Fox’s have not shown that trait. Every voter should also consider what Bill Fox thinks on the issues before the Town because Mrs Fox does not seem to act on her own. Bill Fox spoke for her to turn down endorsement she wanted from beginning. Bill Fox with wife attended many partisan events and even put on a partisan event at Mrs Fox (self serving) wedding venue; Bill Fox turned down party at the Candidate debate just days ago, Bill Fox accepted endorsement, and now Bill Fox speaks for the Mrs. This is all sounding like a well hatch plan by Fox and Friends namely Minchew. Sounds like party endorsements can be determined by lawyer to the development stars Randy Minchew.

• 2018-10-31 at 9:20 am

At some point, like in right now, Ms. Fox needs to take back her campaign, and sit Bill Fox on the sidelines. He is only hurting her chances in November. Degrade the town? We all should expect consistent honesty in our elected officials. Clearly, Ms. Fox, because of Bill Fox, is looking more and more like someone Leesburg voters cannot trust.

• 2018-11-01 at 9:42 pm

Q: How can you tell if a candidate is really an independent?

A: When you have partisan hacks attacking them from both the right and the left.

• 2018-11-02 at 11:23 am

Or, in the case of Ms. Fox, you know she is NOT an independent when she grabs with both hands the endorsement of the Loudoun County Republican Committee. A PARTISAN group. Clear for all to see. As is a method of defining dishonesty.

• 2018-11-02 at 5:00 pm

I wonder why Lawgh does not criticize Jennifer Wexton, when she claims to be independent in the mailers she’s been sending out? Oh, never mind, I know why…partisan hack.

• 2018-11-03 at 11:21 am

Let me answer that one, CarlZ. Both Wexton and Comstock use the word independent, yet both are not hiding from their nominations. On the other hand, there is Ms. Fox, who started out crowing that she would not seek a political endorsement, and run as a true independent. And then, weeks before the election, Ms. Fox grabs with both hands the endorsement of the republican committee here in Loudoun County. Once again, clear dishonesty. And telling about Ms. Fox.

• 2018-11-05 at 11:18 am

I tend to agree with Lawgh on some of this. I think this business of turning down the endorsement and then taking it late in the campaign was a well-orchestrated strategy so Ms. Fox could partner with Ron Cambpell and gain independent and Democrat votes and not help or work with GOP-endorsed candidate Tom Dunn. A number of her backers are helping Campbell. In fact, at the LCRC meeting in August where the endorsements were being made, I asked Bill Fox if Suzanne was supporting the entire GOP ticket, and he said she was supporting Comstock and GOP endorsed Kari Nacy. He made no mention of TOm Dunn or Corey Stewart the Senate candidate. Republican poll volunteers may be dismayed tomorrow seeing an outside group handing out a joint “independent ballot” with Fox and Campbell on it in order get non GOP votes for both of them. meanwhile, Republican voters will get the GOP sample ballot where Fox’s name is circled. This might help her get into the top 3 and get re-elected, but I hope I am wroing and that Ms. Fox like other candidates will have their own volunteers or paid staff handing our her literature to the voters. Meanwhile, the Democrats are being straight forward with the voters and unified behind their slate of candidates. In 2016, when I ran, our GOP endorsed slate of Mayor and Council candidates worked hand-in-glove with each other and Barbara Comstock. As a result, Barbara, Tom Dunn and I won! And , I think Kevin Wright would have won as mayor if he had been more hard hitting against his two opponents. With this GOP disunity, I would not be surprised to see a Democrat sweep in the Mayor and Council elections tomorrow — unless Ron Cambpell siphons enough Dem votes from kelly burk and she loses.