Letter: Al Van Huyck, Round Hill

Editor: I’m not a personal friend of Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring now under fire for racism. But I have known Mark Herring for over 25 years in his various offices of Loudoun supervisor, state senator, and attorney general and worked often with him in my various capacities of failed politician, planning commissioner, and officer of various Loudoun organizations concerned with the quality of life in our county.

During all of my interactions over a quarter of a century I have never heard Mark Herring make a racist remark, tell a racist joke, or even give that wink and a nod when something racist is past around. As far as I know all his public service actions have been focused on equality, fair treatment regardless of race, and to the public interest.

By this letter I would like to challenge any one in Loudoun County who has any information that supports the thesis that Mark Herring is a racist to step forward and publicly present it now. But if there is no evidence to present from those of us in Loudoun who know him well; then I ask you and all our political leaders both Republican and Democratic, leaders of our African-American communities, and citizens who have interacted with Mark in one way or another on their concerns to speak out in his defense now.

It has taken me 24 hours of soul searching to write this letter as it is not my direct concern. I asked myself what if I’m accused of racism for writing in support of Mark? Will it marginalize me when the time comes to petition the Board of Supervisors to curb some of the development excesses that the Planning Commission is writing into the 2040 Plan?

But in the end, you’re forced to recognize that if you have testimony that can help prevent an injustice you must step up or be ready to live with the knowledge of your failure to do so for a long time.  I just hope others will feel the same way.

Al Van Huyck, Round Hill

19 thoughts on “Letter: Al Van Huyck, Round Hill

• 2019-02-07 at 11:44 am

So it’s okay for a Democrat to wear blackface so long as there is no evidence he is a racist but Bret Kavanaugh shouldn’t be on the Supreme Court because there is no evidence of anything?

• 2019-02-07 at 12:32 pm

The very fact that the author had to consider the implications of defending Mark is the most disturbing point. The democrat left works to silence and suppress free expression every single day. Say something they don’t approve of — They’ll order a #3 Accusation — Racists, with a side a homophobia. Truth is not involved. They want you silenced, and if possible, ruined. It’s all about control Mr. Van Huyck. It’s a warning to anyone standing up to them and their absurd leftist political party. I think you’re brave to write this letter of support for Mark.

I don’t see you as a man who cowers to the mob. Are you not incensed that you even hesitated? See what fringe democrats have brought upon us? Stand up to the bullies. Defend the First Amendment.

Conversely, I never saw Mark condemn the disgusting democrat ad during the election portraying Gillespie voters as homicidal racists bent of running down little kids with their pick-ups. Did that ad trouble you Mr.Van Huyck?

I don’t believe Mark should be ruined over an ignorant drunken event on Rugby Road 30 years ago. Yet Alinsky Rule #4 tells us to hold them to their own standards. Democrats created these kook standards. I’d like to see Mark come back to the center; shake off the insanity.

• 2019-02-08 at 7:26 am

Oh, dear, I guess some are in denial. Let us see: In the White House sits a person who, just a few days ago, tweeted that he should be immune from any investigations for possible criminal actions committed by him, or those around him. That same person sitting in the White House has argued, and is supported in that argument by his supporters, that he can commit any crime he wants, and cannot be prosecuted because he is the president. A president who was charged with racial discrimination in one of his family’s housing projects by the Justice Department. And let us not forget the president’s outrageous statements made during the controversies in Charlottesville, Virginia about the KKK and Nazis. I wonder where the outrage over that has been expressed by the two commenters above. I agree with one concept, that all political parties lose when they stake out a position on one side, and then switch over to the other side a year later that the year before they attacked as being wrong. But, let us not forget that until the cheap shots end, there will never be the opportunity for people to start coming to the middle ground.

• 2019-02-08 at 10:57 am

Lawgh, deflection doesn’t suit you. Perhaps you want to live in a world where everything is retroactive, and free speech and free expression are suppressed out of fear of being slandered by the kook squad. Reasonable people don’t.

The very fact that Mr. Van Huyck even contemplated how stating that Mark is not a racist, might compromise his reputation should be terrifying to everyone. I too have known Mark for 20 years. We disagree on 98% of the issues. His leftward direction is disappointing to me. But the man is not a racist.

Are you willing to stand trial and judgement for everything you’ve done in your life? The left’s politics of destruction is abhorrent, evil, and needs to be stood up to and exposed as the bullying that it is. At least you recognize the folly of claiming self-righteousness, only to have to eat two dozen crows shortly after. It’s a step in the right direction.

• 2019-02-08 at 1:29 pm

Ah, the inevitable defense of the hollow tree trunk! When one attacks someone it is appropriate to point out that the attacker stands on quicksand. Beating one’s chest, and screaming that the speaker knows all and sees all, and calls out others, should remember that standing behand that speaker are those who are far worse then the person they are attacking. It is more than fair to point out that for all that has occurred in Richmond in the past week, sitting in the White House is a person who has done far, far, far worse, and has so embarrassed this Country, that it will take decades to repair the damage. So, for the commenters above, show me the comments you have made chastising our president for his abhorrent behavior.

• 2019-02-08 at 4:20 pm

Lawgh as usual you are missing the point.

Personally I would be more than happy to see Trump go, and Herring stay (what he’s done seem a lot less cringeworthy than that picture of Northam).

What others above are pointing out that you choose to ignore is that for the past several years democrats have been holding everyone under the sun to incredibly high standards of perfection (as they define it), and it keeps getting worse.
      You can’t do that and then refuse to apply such standards to yourselves. It’s extremely simple really: you have to practice what you preach.

Here’s another example: climate change. Do I personally believe it’s real? Yes I do.
      Am I sick and tired of hearing millionaires and billionaires explaining to the rest of us peons that sacrifices will be required to save the planet, all the while flying private jets across oceans to Davos, to promote their latest movie, or to pick up some climate change award? You bet I am.

Do I care that they do? No. But then don’t give me grief for driving a gas guzzler.

It’s the whole “do as I say don’t do as I do” philosophy that is growing really tiresome. And it’s something the left has become incredibly proficient at.

• 2019-02-08 at 6:23 pm

Deflection Lawgh.. deflection. You’ll do anything, say anything, to deflect away from the oppression of free speech and free expression by the kook left. I’d do the same if I were you. When people such as Mr. Van Hyuck begin to see it, are impacted by it, and finally stand up to the totalitarian leftist mob, you’ll be back to the dorm room parties lamenting how “people just don’t understand that if they do as we say, think as we say, and live as we say, it would be so much cooler.”

The First Amendment and free expression are nonnegotiable. The Thuggery is not going to win.

• 2019-02-10 at 8:32 am

Lockwood, I assume you are a grown adult. If so why do you need someone else to think for yourself?

You have pretty much all the information in hand to know whether you want Herring to resign or not. Don’t let anyone think for you.

• 2019-02-09 at 12:03 pm

Oh, my very good friend, Chris. Deflection? Why do we not hear your condemnation of the president sitting in a White House filled with corruption and overwhelmed with criminal investigations? You are right, there is a First Amendment, which means your silence on the president’s abhorrent behavior is more than noticeable.

• 2019-02-10 at 3:42 pm

We can discuss the President all day long Lawgh. The subject at hand is a reasonable man had to consider his words in defending someone — all because of the kook left, and it’s war of freedom of speech and politics of destruction. A subject you are certainly trying to avoid at all cost, and you’re smart to.

Most folks from all backgrounds are disgusted with the intimidation, the thought police, and the false smears against anyone they disagree with who exercises their First Amendment right. There’s a backlash coming Lawgh against the total hypocrisy, and false holier than thou attitude of the left.

When are you announcing your run for Sheriff Laugh? I’ll be there cheering you on.

• 2019-02-11 at 9:56 am

Sad! Why will some refuse to discuss something, or someone, that is in their camp, and instead attack those in another camp within the political world. A direct question has been presented in this thread by me, about the abhorrent behavior of the president in the White House and why some will attack a democrat, but not the conduct of the president, to those like my very good friend Chris. And the response to my question: Silence. Consistency should be expected. Silence in this matter speaks louder than words. No deflection, no excuses. Silence is obvious in what it means.

• 2019-02-11 at 10:50 am

I don’t understand what you’re doing Lawgh. You’re off topic. If you want to talk about the president, write your own letter to the editor and people will happily comment on it. You should do it, it would be incredibly entertaining just to read the reactions.

Furthermore… You’re accusing people of attacking those in the other camp, while the majority here are actually defending Mark Herring. This discussion is about reason, or rather the lack thereof in top democratic party circles.

I’m sure we could do the exact same thing about the Republican party, but again this is not the topic at hand.

• 2019-02-11 at 10:47 am

The First Amendment and all freedom of expression must be preserved, even if democrats hate such things. Due process must be upheld. Democrats hate that too, but even Justin Fairfax deserves Due Process. Gov. Ralph has to go. He continues to expose his idiocy every day. Mark is not a racist.

Okay Lawgh ole’ buddy, tell us what the scary orange man did today that has you frothing at the mouth? Come ‘on. Give us some new grisly details.

• 2019-02-11 at 4:10 pm

Oh, gee, interesting two responses above. Let’s see. The original letter writer states he has known Mark Herring for many years, and believes him to be a decent and honorable man. Then what happens. Posters jump on and attack democrats for this, that, and the other thing. And so, then someone (me) dares to point out that the president in the White House has re-defined the phrase “abhorrent behavior” and deserves to be criticized for that – and not too surprising, the posters attacking democrats refuse to make any statements about the abhorrent behavior of the president in the White House when someone asked (me) why these same critics are silent about the president in the White House who deserves the be criticized. What happened to good for the goose good for the gander? Or, maybe, more likely, the rule is don’t point out the faults of the president in the White House because they are on the same side, and the critics of democrats are taking cheap shots.

• 2019-02-12 at 9:19 am

You’re your own worst enemy Lawgh… Incoherent and always, always, moving the goal posts.

I’m going to have to reconsider my support for your run for Sheriff Lawgh. And I’d just picked out some really exciting color combinations for the campaign signs to run by you too.

• 2019-02-12 at 9:56 am

As an aside, my very good friend, Chris, pick out some appropriate drape colors for the “call me abhorrent” for the president in the White House.