LCSO: Credit Card Skimmers Found on Ashburn Gas Pumps

The Sheriff’s Office on Tuesday issued an alert that two credit card skimming devices were found on gas pumps at the Exxon station located at Flagstaff Plaza in Ashburn.

Patrons who have filled up there recently are advised to monitor their credit card accounts.

The two devices were discovered late Sunday afternoon on pump number three and number 16. It is unclear when they were installed. Detectives with the agency’s Financial Crimes Unit are working to identify the perpetrators.

Anyone with any information about the case is asked to contact Det. C. Johnson at 703-777-1021. You may also submit a tip through the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office app.

11 thoughts on “LCSO: Credit Card Skimmers Found on Ashburn Gas Pumps

• 2019-02-26 at 10:36 pm

Thank you for the information. Next time, please provide an address to the location and not just the shopping center name. There are a lot of people who don’t know shopping centers by name. TIA!

• 2019-02-27 at 10:26 am

Another reason I’m happy to only own electric vehicles and never have to pump gas! Wasting time in long lines, temperature extremes, nasty fumes, grimy pump handles, much greater cost of fuel -v- electricity, support of foreign oil regimes (Venezuela, Saudi), and now risk of skimming/credit card fraud.
    Instead, plug in at home at night and wake up with a “full tank” every day.

• 2019-03-13 at 12:17 am

Exactly Free charging stations are found at stores and offices Tesla offers superchargers The car is linked to your account and when you attach the charger to the car it sends a bill and your credit card on your tesla profile makes a secure payment better than gas but some chargers around are pay with card at kiosk

• 2019-02-27 at 11:55 am

Just curious Downtown — where do you believe the electricity generated when you “plug in” at home comes from?

• 2019-02-27 at 5:46 pm

Thanks for the question Chris. I have solar panels on my roof that generate 100% of the electricity I consume in my home including HVAC, 2 EVs and all other household needs from the sun. My Dominion Energy bill is $7.85 each month to be tied to the grid but on the whole I generate more electricity than I use (coincidentally a lot more in the summer on those hot sunny days when AC is needed!). How about you?

• 2019-02-28 at 8:58 am

Sounds like you’ve mastered peak efficiency from your solar array Downtown. That’s an enormous accomplishment. How many panels does it take to get that done? Are they on the roof, or in the yard? And how large is your battery bank? It must be impressive to charge your cars overnight, and run the house.
    I think it’s fantastic you’ve done this. Solar tech, as it continues to advance, is very promising. If people could get the results you say you have, it would go a long way to instilling self-sufficiency, which is sadly lacking in today’s human mind.

Not to be intrusive, but could you throw out a ballpark cost of your effort? That’s usually the big hurdle for folks, even with governmnet subsidies.

• 2019-02-28 at 12:57 pm

I have 50 panels, all rooftop, no battery system. Batteries are additional cost and only seem worth it if you want to be in the middle of nowhere/offgrid or there is enough of a differential in electricity rates between day/night to “sell” excess daytime energy from the panels by day and charge batteries at night when electricity from the grid is cheap and plentiful (Dominion Energy does not offer those incentives). The grid serves as my battery, meter spins backwards when I generate more than I consume, at night if I need to charge the car, I pull energy from the grid. I’ve had the system about 6 years. The payoff (breakeven) point is about 15 years based on the upfront costs of the system and the rates of electricity in our area and lack of local/State incentives/credits. The panels last about 20-25 years so I should get 5-10 years of actual profit from the endeavor. The cost of the hardware keeps dropping (currently about $250 per panel), the main additional costs are the labor for installation. So yes, the initial capital outlay is high. There are some solar lease programs that provide the upfront installation costs, they own the panels and sell the power they generate and give you a modestly lower electricity bill over the next 10-20 years.

• 2019-02-28 at 2:33 pm

Smart using the grid as your storage. Storage remains the big issue. If I understand you correctly, when the power goes out, you’re in the same boat with everyone else? Can you run the house in the day light disconnected from the grid? I assume you have a transfer switch of some sort so you don’t feed power onto shut down power lines.

• 2019-02-28 at 6:42 pm

Yes, for safety, any grid-tied system has to be designed to automatically shut down during an outage to prevent it from energizing the power lines on the street which could be dangerous to utility workers. A grid-tied system requires the constant connection to utility power to stay in phase so I can’t just disconnect on a sunny day and run the whole set-up directly off the panels (like you could with a battery based system).
      I do have the ability on my system to run a single circuit directly off the solar panels (obviously only during the day). I have used this in an outage to keep my fridge running and it can even (slowly) charge the car.

• 2019-03-01 at 12:27 pm

Thanks for the info Downtown. I’ve learned a few things from our conversation. That’s always a good thing in my book.