Fox Announces State Senate Run

Fresh off a November victory, Leesburg Town Councilwoman Suzanne Fox is hoping for another win on Election Day 2019.

Fox announced this week she will challenge State Sen. Jennifer Boysko (D-33), who herself just recently won her seat in a January special election to fill the unexpired term of Jennifer Wexton.

Fox said recent General Assembly headlines and a bill regarding late-term abortion, which was co-sponsored by her opponent, prompted her to throw her hat in the ring for the state seat. She also noted that becoming a grandmother for the first time in October made the abortion debate all the more real to her.

“I’m a heartbeat to heartbeat person,” she said.

In addition to her pro-life position, Fox said her campaign will be about combating extremism—on both sides of the political aisle.

“There is a disregard for the rule of law. I’m having a tough time with that. I’m seeing people go way to the left and the right, and that extremism is trickling down to the local level,” she said.

She said individual freedoms are slowly being eroded, something that is of great concern.

“I see the Constitution being kicked to the wayside. Liberty is a big thing for me. I’m seeing life and liberty being assaulted. There are lots of regulations against the pursuit of happiness. I’ve got to do something about it. I’m seeing people too scared to speak out,” Fox said.

School choice is another important issue for Fox, as is ensuring that Northern Virginia get its share of transportation dollars. On the latter, she points to her years serving on the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority’s advisory board.

“It seems that when [legislators] go to Richmond they don’t bring the tax money back here. I have to get down there and find out why,” she said.

Fox said she will seek the Loudoun County Republican Committee nomination for this race, something she chose not to do in her recent Town Council re-election bid. Regarding that decision, Fox said it was a hard one to make, but she wanted to follow the Town Charter which notes that council seats are to be non-partisan.

“I’m a proud Republican, but I will act on principle, not party,” she noted.

Fox acknowledged that the political environment for Republican candidates in Northern Virginia is difficult, as the state turns more blue and fewer Republicans are being elected or re-elected.

“I know what I’m up against,” she said. “But I’m more afraid not to run. This is a call to service.”

Fox has served on the Town Council since 2014. She and her husband, Bill, have been Leesburg residents since 2003.

krodriguez@loudounnow.com

14 thoughts on “Fox Announces State Senate Run

• 2019-03-12 at 7:08 pm

Boysko swamped Joe May and she will swamp Fox. You’ll see. The Swamp Fox will be Suzannes new nickname

• 2019-03-13 at 3:22 am

Ah, one should never second guess voters, but I do not think that Senator Boysko has much to worry about. Just last November, Ms. Fox barely one a seat on the Leesburg Town Council, coming in a far distant third, and only a hand full of voted ahead of the fourth place finisher. And her town council colleagues on the town council got rid of her as vice-mayor after only one year – the very people she served with and some of them are republicans. So, this one should be easy for Senator Boysko

• 2019-03-13 at 11:29 am

Ah Laugh…insightful analysis as usual. Suzanne actually served a full 2-year term as Vice Mayor, the same length of time every other Leesburg Vice Mayor serves…and in my 16 years in Leesburg, no Vice Mayor has served two terms consecutively. Accordingly, Suzanne did not seek a second term as Vice Mayor, and in fact was not even present at the meeting where the selection occurred.

FYI, Suzanne was the only conservative candidate in Northern VA to win their election last November, likely due to her message of honest, pragmatic leadership instead of party politics.

• 2019-03-13 at 2:12 pm

I kind of like the swamp Fox for Suzanne seems historically it ain’t a bad thing to be called a swamp Fox.
    Draining Boysco from the swamp will be her first public service in her new job. You know the Boysco we are talking about don’t you the third trimester serial killer. The Wexton Boysco machine can’t hide from her record.
    I thought Joe did well considering the time constraints, they will not be a plus factor this time for Jenny. The only advantage Boysco has is money it would be nice if they debated but Suzanne Fox can only lick her chops in anticipation.
    There was a backlash against Trump but now there is a backlash against the haters and that is the democrats. If you have time volunteer to get rid of the incumbent, if you have money donate to Suzanne Fox and make sure come November we defeat the ghouls that represent the democrat party.

• 2019-03-13 at 2:56 pm

If only her husband can counter what Lawgh said here about Fox (which is accurate) , she has a real problem this fall.

• 2019-03-13 at 4:43 pm

To Mr. Fox: Look to Ms. Fox’s own campaign facebook page for her re-election effort last year, and she plainly stated she was running for re-election to the job of vice-mayor. So either she misrepresented her office that she was seeking, or she fully expected to remain as vice-mayor. And I would not brag to much if I were you that Ms. Fox misses meetings for the town council. And don’t run out too quick and scrub clean Ms. Fox’s facebook page, as a snap shot sometimes exists for those kinds of things.

• 2019-03-13 at 6:17 pm

You boys need to look at the baggage your candidate has. It is political in nature as in backing known anti Semites in the 86th. Right there that alone that should lose her any election especially cause she flip flopped, she hates me, she hates me not…

• 2019-03-13 at 11:59 pm

Quick lesson in the English Language…”Re-elect Vice Mayor Suzanne Fox to the Leesburg Town Council” was not an indication that she was seeking re-apointment to the office of Vice Mayor. It was an accurate statement of her title at the time (Vice Mayor), and an accurate statement regarding the position she was running for (Town Council).

As for missing meetings, you may want to compare attendence records of the various council members before barking up that tree.

• 2019-03-14 at 10:40 am

An admission from Mr. Fox! Wonderful! Must have really hurt to have to admit that Ms. Fox stated that the voters were selecting her as vice-mayor, because her campaign facebook page could not be scrubbed clean. And go right ahead and parade other council member’s attendance records. The important thing is, there is another admission that Ms. Fox missed an important meeting – just too busy to be there? Or something more important was going on? Or that being an elected council member is too inconvenient? All goes to the question of character, and whether anyone can trust and vote for Ms. Fox for state senate, or even dog catcher.

• 2019-03-14 at 1:11 pm

Swamp Fox, Suzanne Fox versus Swamp Rat, Jennifer Boysko! Really it is that simple in this instance. Lawgh, don’t mess with Bill!

• 2019-03-14 at 2:03 pm

I’m glad Ms. Fox is in the race and I think she is as good a candidate as the GOP could hope for in this district. This race is going to be much closer than people are giving it credit for.

• 2019-03-14 at 10:17 pm

I’ve known Suzanne Fox for years. She is fair, honest, smart, and extremely hardworking. She listens to and respects the opinions of others. Virginia will be darned lucky to have her in the State Senate.

• 2019-04-06 at 7:22 am

Instead of reducing spending to pay for lowering taxes on female products Boysko shifted the burden to the rest of us taxpayers. Besides that she did not catch the 462 million dollar mistake she made when she voted for government expansion. I am willing to set up a go fund me site, “Beans Counter for Jenny” so we can buy her a calculator.