Leesburg Resident Tagged as White Supremacist Resigns from HOA Board

After the Southern Poverty Law Center published a report alleging Leesburg resident and State Department official Matthew Gebert lived a second life online as a white supremacist, his neighbors have pulled together and ordered 100 “Hate Has No Home Here” signs.

The center posted a report outlining a litany of online and in-person involvement with white supremacist groups and ideology, including hosting a gathering at the Geberts’ Leesburg home, participating in the deadly “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville in 2017, helping organize and recruit a DC-area chapter for an alt-right network, participating in online white supremacist forums and programs, dining with a famed anti-Semite, and donating to a white supremacist in a Republican primary in Wisconsin.

If the allegations are true, Gebert appears to have been flying under the radar, both to his neighbors and professionally.

Gebert was also recently the president of the Greenway Farms Homeowners Association, just south of downtown Leesburg on King Street, according to minutes from its Board of Directors. He resigned from the HOA board Monday after a special meeting was scheduled to vote to remove him later in the month.

Resident Peter Fedders suggested and organized the purchase of the “Hate Has No Home Here” signs. He said the report on Gebert was met with “complete shock” in the neighborhood.

“I think the real shock was that he was like the head of our HOA,” Fedders said. “He was the president until I think July.”

He suggested on Facebook that the community band together to buy the signs and began organizing, ordering the first batch of 100 signs at $5 each as people signed up to contribute. So far, 115 people have signed up and another resident has offered to put up the money for a second batch of signs.

He plans to distribute the signs on Sunday, and said he expects to see rainbow balloons join the chalk art that he said has already appeared.

“It’s just a sign, [but] it’s something, it’s a start,” Fedders said. “Because I don’t think people knew what to do. What do you do when there’s somebody like that that’s in your neighborhood leading your HOA? So I think people just kind of latched onto the sign thing.”

After the Southern Poverty Law Center’s report, Gebert was reportedly suspended from his job at the State Department, where he works as a foreign affairs officer assigned to the Bureau of Energy Resources.

Gebert’s wife, Anna Vuckovic, was also active in those online communities, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. And from 2015 until June, she served on the Visit Loudoun board of directors.

According to Visit Loudoun CEO Beth Erickson, Vuckovic had also worked with other tourism agencies including Visit Phoenix, Choose Chicago, ExperienceColumbus, and Explore St. Louis.

“I can assure you that during Anna’s tenure on Visit Loudoun’s board, any affiliation she or her family member may have had with the organization was not known to us and I did not believe it impacted her work on the board,” Erickson wrote in an email to the county Board of Supervisors. “She resigned from the volunteer board in June 2019 and therefore has no association with Visit Loudoun at this time.”

At the time that Gebert was elected to the Visit Loudoun board, Erickson wrote, she was the Director of National Accounts for Visit Phoenix.

“Visit Loudoun is committed to thediverse and culturally rich community we serve and to ensuring that Loudoun County is a welcoming destination,” Erickson wrote.

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center’s “Hatewatch” blog, which monitors hate groups and hate speech, Gebert was involved with white nationalist podcasts and online forums using several pseudonyms and hosted white nationalist gatherings at his home. He is also alleged to have attended the white nationalist gathering in Charlottesville on Aug. 12, 2017, which turned deadly for counter-protesters, and helped organize and recruit for a DC-area organization, “D.C. Helicopter Pilots.” The group is a chapter of The Right Stuff, an alt-right network the Southern Poverty Law Center lists as a hate group.

“[Whites] need a country of our own with nukes, and we will retake this thing lickety split,” the center reported Gebert said on a podcast called “The Fatherland.”

He is quoted as saying a variety of explicitly racist things, such as “I think it reflects the better angels of our white nature that we—despite all of the evidence we have from the criminality to whatnot that we still have a soft spot in our heart for Red Foxx and ‘Sandford and Son.’”

Under his own name, Gebert donated to white supremacist and Republican primary candidate Paul Nehlen, who challenged then-Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI-1) in 2016 with endorsements from people like Laura Ingraham and Sarah Palin but was handily defeated. He ran a second time in 2018 but was again defeated, coming third in a field of six candidates.

The center also offered evidence Gebert published antisemitic views and dined with a famed Holocaust denier.

Gebert has not yet replied to an emailed request for comment.

rgreene@loudounnow.com

17 thoughts on “Leesburg Resident Tagged as White Supremacist Resigns from HOA Board

• 2019-08-15 at 3:25 pm

Has anyone that knows them personally had anything negative to say about this couple? I’ve known them for a long time, and there is not a single bad thing I have to say about any of my interactions with them. Nothing but graciousness coming from them.

Besides that, what laws have they been accused of breaking? None? I don’t get the hysteria.

We should all be so lucky to have members like Matt and Anna in our communities.

• 2019-08-16 at 1:47 pm

“what laws have they been accused of breaking?”
      Gebert’s donation of $200 to Wisconsin Republican and white nationalist Paul Nehlen’s Congressional campaignmay be a violation of the Hatch Act, a law which prohibits employees of the Executive branch of government from taking part in certain types of political activities.
      There ya go.

• 2019-08-15 at 4:17 pm

Matthew Gebeet seems like an outstanding citizen who has sacrificed to serve his country in the State department and his community as president of the HOA. Moreover, White nationalist is not the same as white supremacist, and it only e tails having a special concern and love for his people and the preservation of the social/cultural institutions they have created. This in no way entails hate for other groups and shame on those who suggest otherwise! The libel and slander being spewed about this honorable man is shameful and disappointing. We can do better. It’s ok to be an advocate for your own people. It’s ok to be white

• 2019-08-15 at 7:07 pm

I just don’t think that these people know what their talking about, my granddaughter says I am a racist because I want less taxs for job creators and I vote for trump. They will call you racist and white supremacy because people today don’t think about their country first and they learn stupid thing at school. I bet this guy is not white supremacy because they think everyone is a white supremacits . God bless Virginia and god bless everyone who get called a racist even though their not

• 2019-08-16 at 1:56 pm

“I just don’t think that these people know what they’re talking about, my granddaughter says I am a racist because I want less taxes for job creators and I vote for Trump. They will call you racist and a white supremacy supremacist because people today don’t think about their country first and they learn stupid things (?) at school. I bet this guy is not a white supremacy supremacist because they think everyone is a white supremacist . God bless Virginia and god bless everyone who gets called a racist even though they’re not”
      You’re granddaughter forgot to mention uneducated.

• 2019-08-16 at 3:38 pm

Your not paying attention to what I said, they will call you racist for regular things like wanting immigranst to come in the right way. if they call this man racist then Im not sure because everything is racist now. When I grew up we didnt have people calling each other names like this because God was in our schools and people went to church, and I wish people would see that. I will pray for you and also for Leesburg because we need Jesus more than ever.
          God bless,
          Tom

• 2019-08-16 at 6:55 pm

“they will call you racist for regular things like wanting immigranst to come in the right way”

Well, in this case, we’re calling him racist for not-regular things like heading up a local chapter of a white nationalist group, knowingly putting his career at risk by violating the Hatch Act and donating money to a white nationalist politician, and going to a white nationalist protest where, ultimately, a white nationalist drove his car into a crowd and murdered someone, an act which seems to be celebrated by white nationalists all over the internet.

Are you saying that white nationalists *aren’t* racists?

• 2019-08-19 at 4:41 pm

Hello sterling cat, I saw your response and thank you for taking time to talk back to my point. I voted for trump and they lie and call him a racist so I always wonder if someone is a bad person and racist when they call everyone racist in the news. Its hard to believe the news today because a lot of it is fake and they will call lots of people racist because they want politicians who don’t think like them to look bad in the news. I don’t know this mans heart because only God can know what’s in your heart but since everything gets called racist in the news today I want to give this man the benefit of the doubt. More than anything I hope this man and his family are right with God because its God we have to answer to for eternity and not politicians that we should worry about. Thank you for responding and I hope you have a good day. God bless, Tom

• 2019-08-15 at 8:56 pm

“According to the Southern Poverty Law Center’s “Hatewatch” blog, which monitors hate groups and hate speech…” seriously?! Haven’t you heard? The SPLC is a discredited, racist, and misogynist institution itself! They’re even being sued for such behaviors. I can scarcely believe that LoudonNow would employ such a lazy journalist as the author of this scree. You should be ashamed of yourselves! Our community deserves better! You should be reporting on REAL crime, not some low level, government official exercising his First amendment rights! This is America!

• 2019-08-20 at 12:41 am

Lolololol at your question, “why should it be okay for *any* government official to promote such un-American ideas as white nationalism?”! Obviously you’ve never read the very FIRST Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1790, nor are you familiar with the “3/5 Clause”. You haven’t studied Lincoln’s thoughts on integration,
      The Colonial Society, Woodrow Wilson’s White House screening of “Birth of a Nation”, our even heard the Nixon tapes. If you had, you’d know that this gentleman’s beliefs are totally in harmony with the default beliefs of the majority of our great grandparents. The whole argument from antiwhite’s like yourself, is that America has been a White supremacist nation from its inception…. what with slavery and Manifest Destiny, its actually a hard position to debate. How then, is being nominally pro-white, unAmerican? This man has served his country with honor, dignity, and a sense of duty incapable by those of your ilk.

• 2019-08-15 at 9:38 pm

Peter – in lieu of shunning our neighbor, as most felons with kids are treated better and are given due process, although Matt has broken no law and his brother called a federal agency without any authority to pursue matters, why not hold a prayer vigil for him and invite the BOD, PM, neighbors, etc. and Mr. Wigfield can say a prayer and offer him some redemption as we all have it in us. With all of my attendance at BOD Meetings, and the extent of non-whites on the BOD’s, Matt has always been very friendly towards everyone and I don’t recall any issues ever being recorded, which according to the PM Owner in May was reported to be the of one of the best managed properties. BTW, the Mr. Foxx comment doesn’t pass the smell test. If our community wants peace, or might I say offering of an olive branch, direct communication is necessary. Humiliating a neighbor, and apparent measures to try another, isn’t the answer, but if that continues to be the path, a lucrative consulting prospective has been offered outlining all of the related issues within the HOA. Perhaps, a trailer, or something similar, will pop-up online at sometime in the near future.

• 2019-08-16 at 12:07 am

So it seems to me everything is based on the SPLC making a stink. CERTAIN EMPLOYEES they have seem to hate anyone that doesn’t hate white people. In my opinion, articles like this are what is radicalizing people on both sides. Very irresponsible, on both the HOA and you as a news outlet. All this outrage was done without hearing out Mr Gebert or his wife. It was just white man bad for thinking too much. You should be very disappointed in publishing this story. It’s not news. It’s an attack.

• 2019-08-16 at 1:18 pm

It’s really concerning that the only comments (six of them, so far) on this article are defending Gebert and/or white nationalism in one way or another, and *none* are condemning racism, the alt-right, white nationalism/white supremacy, antisemitism, etc. in any way.

So it’s *totally okay* with you for someone to support racist policies and politicians, lead local chapters of white nationalist groups, and talk about whites needing a nuclear-power country of their own… but it’s not okay to point out the racism there?

One commenter takes issue that anyone would have a problem with “some low level, government official exercising his First amendment rights! This is America!” Tell me, why should it be okay for *any* government official to promote such un-American ideas as white nationalism?

Another commenter says “They will call you racist and white supremacy because people today don’t think about their country first and they learn stupid thing at school.” Stupid things like how the color of your skin isn’t what determines your citizenship?

Another points out, “White nationalist is not the same as white supremacist.” Please, do elucidate on that. What is the difference? And why shouldn’t someone who doesn’t fit into the narrow definition of “white” promoted by either group be seriously concerned about both?

I’m sure you all don’t think of yourselves as racist. I’m sure you’re all very pleasant to everyone you meet, regardless of the color of their skin. But you’re all okay with your neighbor being a white nationalist, you’re upset that he’s seeing consquences for his words and actions, and you agree with him on at least some of his points… and that makes Loudoun feel terribly unsafe for anyone who isn’t your kind of white person. Are you okay with that, too?

• 2019-08-16 at 2:29 pm

I’m concerned, but also believe that the majority of the IP addresses would show that they are from outside of this area, if not all from the same person. Whenever a white supremacist gets smoked out, their brethren suddenly jump online to lend a hand, try to make it seem like these ideas are normal, not offensive etc.

Matthew Q. Gebert posting as “Coach Finstock,”: “The only reason I am taking this risk is so that my kids can grow up in a whiter country if not an actual explicit white exclusionary country at some point in their lives… [black people] do not belong around [white people] for an ocean at least.”

His wife, Anna Vuckovic, posting as “Wolfie James”: “7 Reasons Why Alt-Right Men Are the Hottest: Sure, he may spend inordinate time s—posting til the wee hours of the night, but it’s all for a good cause . . . and that’s both undeniably white, and irrefutably alpha.”

leesburgsfinest — as far as them possibly losing their jobs and getting shunned by their neighbors I offer my sincerest thoughts and prayers.

• 2019-08-16 at 3:02 pm

“Sure, he may spend inordinate time s—posting til the wee hours of the night, but it’s all for a good cause . . . and that’s both undeniably white, and irrefutably alpha.”

Wow. Just um, wow. How is it possibly “alpha” – or sexy – to stay up all night s—posting? (Not to mention the ridiculousness of the whole “alpha” thing in the first place… but that’s another story altogether.)

These ideas *are* offensive, and even if it is only one or two people jumping in to make it seem like it’s got a lot of support, I feel like it’s important to raise an objection. People need to know that white supremacy, or white nationalism, (what *is* the difference, anyway? I can’t tell) is simply not acceptable, nor is it an American ideal. I was taught that America is stronger for being a melting pot. Guess that’s another one of those stupid things I learned in school, huh?

• 2019-08-19 at 1:06 pm

I’m eagerly awaiting your blanket condemnation of all your Sterling neighbors who voted for and supported well known Anti-Semite Del. Ibraheem Samirah, and Gov. Blackface/KKK/Infanticide guy.