House Fire Displaces Round Hill-Area Residents

According to the Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office, unattended cooking in a  Round Hill-area home caused a May 14 fire that resulted in $180,000 in damage.

Just after 8:15 p.m. Thursday, county dispatchers received a 911 call reporting a single-family home on fire on Airmont Road. Fire and rescue units from Round Hill, Purcellville, Hamilton, Middleburg, and Philomont responded.

Firefighters arrived on scene to find smoke and fire coming from the ranch-style home and all occupants safely outside. Crews quickly extinguished the fire in the kitchen that was spreading into the attic space. 

There were no injuries reported. Two adults and two pets were displaced. 

As a result of the incident, the Fire Marshal’s office issued safety tips to reduce the risk of a cooking-related fire:

• Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.

• If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.

• Keep items that can catch fire (oven mitts, utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains) away from your stovetop.

• If a small grease fire starts in a pan on the stovetop, smother the flames by carefully sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the burner. Don’t move the pan and keep it covered until it cools completely.

• For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed. Check and/or service the oven before using it again.

• Install smoke alarms at least 10 feet away from the kitchen appliances to prevent nuisance alarms. Photoelectric smoke alarms are the best type of alarms to be installed near the kitchen.

Leave a Reply