Suspended Loudoun Teacher Sues for Reinstatement

The Leesburg Elementary School teacher who was placed on administrative leave two days after telling the School Board that, based on his religious beliefs, he would not comply with draft polices concerning the rights of transgender students, has filed a lawsuit challenging that action.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday in Loudoun County Circuit Court by the Alliance Defending Freedom seeking the immediate reinstatement of Byron “Tanner” Cross as well as a declaration that his views regarding gender-identify education policy violates is constitutional and within his legal rights.

“Public schools have no business compelling teachers to express ideological beliefs that they don’t hold, nor do they have the right to suspend someone simply for respectfully providing their opinion at a public meeting,” said ADF Senior Counsel Tyson Langhofer, director of the ADF Center for Academic Freedom. “The school district favors a certain set of beliefs on a hotly contested issue, and it wants to force Tanner to cry uncle and endorse them as well. That’s neither legal nor constitutional, and neither was the school’s move to place Tanner on leave.”

Cross made his comments during May 25 School Boardmeeting. The board is developing policies to meeta new Virginia Department of Education mandate to protect learners of all gender identities.

“My name is Tanner Cross and I am speaking out of love for those who suffer gender dysphoria,” he said. He spoke about a recent “60 Minutes” segment that interviewed youths who regretted their decisions to transition.

“It is not my intent to hurt anyone, but there are certain truths that we all must face when ready. We condemn school policies, like 8040 [Rights of Transgender and Gender Expansive Students] and 8035 [Sexual Discrimination, Sexual Assault], because [they] would damage children and defile the holy image of God,” Cross said. “I love all my students, but I will never lie to them regardless of the consequences. I’m a teacher, but I serve God first and I will not affirm that a biological boy can be a girl, and vice versa, because it is against my religion, it’s lying to a child, it’s abuse to a child, and it is sinning against our God.”

Two days later, Cross was placed on administrative leave by interim Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources and Talent Development Lucia Villa Sebastian, pending “investigations of allegations that you engaged in conduct that has had a disruptive impact on the operations of Leesburg Elementary School.”

7 thoughts on “Suspended Loudoun Teacher Sues for Reinstatement

• 2021-06-01 at 5:00 pm

What an arrogant fellow. He’s certainly entitled to his religious beliefs but he’s not empowered by Loudoun’s taxpayers to push those into the classroom and begin making policy on his own. He doesn’t like what his employer demands? Do what all us capitalists do. Go find another job.

• 2021-06-02 at 1:42 am

No, you’re absolutely wrong. He’s not the one being arrogant, the school board is. The board is not empowered by taxpayers to push these insane beliefs on innocent children… what they’re doing is nothing short of mass child abuse. They’re also not entitled to discipline an employee for speaking up appropriately at a public meeting. I suggest that we all stop paying property taxes – put the funds in escrow – until this foolishness passes. Transgenderism is gender dysphoria, a serious mental illness which must be treated, not accepted as normal.

• 2021-06-01 at 5:14 pm

Oppressing the First Amendment rights of teachers… Very progressive.

• 2021-06-02 at 3:33 pm

Soooooooo, using that same logic …. If I am a teacher who does not believe in god can I tell students that they are NOT allowed to say, “One nation under god” when reciting the pledge of allegiance? I mean it’s my first amendment right, right?

• 2021-06-01 at 9:39 pm

If gender is based on religious beliefs, how can a teacher be allowed to convey to the classroom that children are damaged if they do not follow the teacher’s religious beliefs? How can there be religious freedom for all if the government can indoctrinate the children through public education systems to a preferred view of gender? Schools must tolerate any and all genders by not designing things around a two gender model. If you have single person stalls you don’t need to designate boy and girl rest rooms and showers. Taxpayer money should support only sports and extra curricular activities that are not segregated by gender.

• 2021-06-01 at 9:51 pm

As a tax payer I hate these lawsuits because it takes money from other resources our students need.

However for those complaining about him “forcing his religion on others” he is doing nothing of the sort. He simply said he will not call a girl a boy or a boy a girl. To do otherwise is forcing the students’ lack of religion on him. If the teacher can teach that 1+1=2 or who the US’ allies were during WWI and WWII were than I’m ok with him. The suspension was yet another political overreaction.

• 2021-06-02 at 3:39 pm

I’m just glad he teaches PE and NOT biology! Using the “God created everything” logic you all should know there are many of “god’s creatures” that change genders. Look it up, kids! It’s a thing!

Bilateral gynandromorphism is legit. Google it!

Guess what? (and this will totally piss you off) The state bird of Virginia – The cardinal falls into this category!

So you MAY wanna get that pesky state bird changed so as NOT to pander to, oh, say, SCIENCE!