During a June rally for Republican gubernatorial candidate Glenn Youngkin, one lone protester marched into a sea of hundreds of his supporters, shouting “Black Lives Matter.” Her unrelenting shouts drew jeers and stares from members of the crowd. A line of men followed closely behind her as she weaved her way through MAGA hats. Her sign said, “if you’re not here to protest racism in LCPS, go home.” She held it above her head for the entirety of Youngkin’s address to the crowd.

Andrea Weiskopf, a Loudoun middle school English and Latin teacher, has been a fixture at such events throughout the county, advocating progressive causes, for years. She began several years ago when the School Board started discussing protections for the LGBTQ community.

“I’m brave, I’m not stupid,” Weiskopf once assured security guards at a conservative event. Weiskopf isn’t shy about crowds, although she does avoid confrontation. She sat out the June 22 School Board meeting, where hundreds of people showed up to chastise the School Board for planning to implement protections for transgender students. Ultimately, a chaotic boardroom crowd was cleared out by deputies.

“I just knew something was going to happen,” she said.

This year, the county came under the microscope as the battle over how to teach about racism in staff training and in the classrooms. One evening, she checked Twitter and was stunned she had a drove of new followers. “You were on Tucker!”one of them tweeted at her.

Tucker Carlson, the Fox News host who commands the attention ofnearly 3 million Americans nightly, had picked apart Weiskopf’s recent public comments at a School Board meeting to highlight his objections about the progressive causes in Loudoun’s school division.

“Can you even imagine what this lady’s personal life must be like? Miserable doesn’t begin to describe it. Desperate. Hellish,” Carlson said in his monologue.

Conservative parents across Loudoun County assert that education about systemic racism in schools is a ruse pushed by the School Board to justify implementing a progressive agenda. Groups such as Fight for Schools insist that children are taught Critical Race theory. They allege that white children are being taught that they should hate themselves for the color of their skin.

Weiskopf laughs at that viewpoint. To her, it’s reductive and misses the point about racial inequity.

“I can’t feel guilty for manifest destiny. I can’t feel guilty for the fact that my eighth and ninth great-grandfathers owned half of Connecticut—because I’m pretty sure they didn’t purchase it fairly—I’m not responsible,” Weiskopf said. “But I am responsible for tomorrow. And if I don’t change something for tomorrow, then I am guilty.”

The School Board has done extensive equity work in the past 18 months, releasing a report about systemic racism and disparities between races in Loudoun County Public Schools, the examples of which Weiskopf observes daily in school buildings.

“Particularly with girls who wear a hijab, I know they get a lot of questions that aren’t always asked in the most culturally appreciative way. I see Black students not necessarily get official discipline, but if they are being loud in the hallway during break or a class change, they are more likely to be called out for being loud,” Weiskopf said.

Her observationsare in line with the findings of the equity report released by the district in May. According to the report, minority students “have experienced the sting of racial insults or racially motivated actions,” and, “discipline policies and practices disproportionately negatively impact students of color, particularly Black students.”

Many LCPS teachers and staff are more timid about sharing their viewpoints—both progressive and conservative. But Weiskopf’s commitment to social justice, and her vocal support of students from marginalized groups, are unwavering.

“There are customs in different religions that I don’t necessarily understand, but my job is to affirm and support every student. And if you cannot support and affirm every student, public education isn’t for you,” Weiskopf said.

17 thoughts on “‘I’m Brave, Not Stupid’: How a Loudoun Teacher Shows Up for Students Outside of the Classroom

• 2021-07-27 at 3:15 pm

Isn’t this the lady who calls everyone who doesn’t comport with her myopic world view a “racist”? Isn’t this the lady with a leading role in the secret hate group targeting parents for harassment for merely holding different opinions?

This is a rehabilitation write up.

• 2021-07-27 at 3:33 pm

Wooah, wait a second. “Andrea Weiskopf, a Loudoun middle school English and Latin teacher….” So, LCPS teacher Tanner Cross was suspended because his presence in the classroom was “disruptive” and 4-5 parents complained. I think 4-5 LCPS parents need to get together and complain about this teacher. She is a much bigger disruption. If LCPS doesn’t take action, then they get sued (again, and again, and again).

• 2021-07-27 at 4:24 pm

Except that Cross stated his intention to hurt transgender children violating LCPS rules and state law. These cases do not compare.

And yes, his planned derision, disrespect, and bullying would be hurtful.

• 2021-07-27 at 8:46 pm

Cross never said he was “going to hurt” transgender (or whatever their parents feel like labeling them that day) children, he simply said he would not use pronouns that don’t make any sense, he would simply call the child by their name. My, how hurtful.

• 2021-07-28 at 10:27 am

But the excuse the LCSB used was that he was reported to be disruptive by his presence. If her presence is reported to be disruptive then yes the case are comparable. They are also comparable because both involve free speech, yes he stated he would not follow the policy but the policy is not in place yet. I don’t plan to follow the speed limit on Route 7, but until I speed I’m free to say what I want.

I don’t have any kids in LCPS so it doesn’t really matter to me, but she seems to fly in the face of the “We’re not teaching CRT” crowd.

• 2021-07-27 at 3:59 pm

Again, Loudoun Now can’t seem to tell the difference between an editorial and a news piece. This is nothing but a one-sided editorial and a responsible editor would have put it in the opinion section of the paper.

I ask again, what and who is the source of the intolerable racism Weiskopf sees every day in public schools? Who is running the schools in such a way that such a dire problem exists? Who had run the schools now for many years?

• 2021-07-27 at 4:25 pm

Her face is seen every day? And here I am having never heard of her.

• 2021-07-27 at 9:45 pm

Bless your heart. I am typing very slowly because your reading comprehension seems somewhat deficient. Ms. Weiskopf is quoted in the article stating that she “observes [systemic racism] daily in school buildings.” The quotation marks indicate a quote from the article in case you have similar problems with punctuation.

After seeing your incoherent comments across these pages, I can only suggest It might help if you actually read an article and comments before posting a reply. Having taught English as a Second Language abroad, I might be able to assist you in this regard.

• 2021-07-27 at 4:12 pm

“Advocacy journalism” has no place in local news. Yet here we are.

It’s really distressing to read this garbage.

• 2021-07-27 at 5:06 pm

I thought ALL lives matter, black, white, Asian, Hispanic etc.

• 2021-07-27 at 8:44 pm

You’re not allowed to say all lives matter, it makes you racist. Didn’t you know that? If only black lives mattered more to black people, more blacks would be alive.

• 2021-07-28 at 10:03 am

When black lives matter…only then will all lives matter. Until then it seems that it is necessary to keep reminding a particular demographic that, Black Lives Matter (too). But I suspect you know what BLM means, if not you wouldn’t be here repeating that very same microaggression and if you didn’t know, now you do and you can lay to rest the “ALL lives matter” nonsense until they actually do.

• 2021-07-28 at 10:06 am

“All lives are equal, but some lives are more equal than others.” Apparently.

• 2021-08-02 at 12:17 pm

Orwell wrote that as a warning. Unfortunately the leftists are using it as an instruction manual.

• 2021-07-29 at 4:22 pm

Let’s get the facts straight about the Youngkin speech. She was not jeered nor was she just walking around with a sign. She was blocking the cameras with her sign, she was screaming while Mr. Youngkin was trying to speak and the only comments I heard was from people asking her (rather nicely) to shut up during the speech. This was the best example of why majority rule works. There are so many situations where one person out of hundreds wants to merely disrupt thereby contributing nothing. What kind of country do we end up having if such a minority voice antagonistically and disruptively can drown out the productive process of finding a new leader for a state badly in need of one? 🙂

• 2021-08-02 at 8:34 pm

Poor Ms. Weiskopf. If only her activism was in the right place at the right time when it would matter most (Today in Chicago/New York City/DC). I’m afraid she won’t get much a response from Loudoun residents. It’s like the kid at a birthday party that refuses to stop singing the happy birthday song after everyone is already eating cake.