Letter: Eman Ahmed, Sterling

Editor: I am writing to raise the issue of toilet paper.

This summer, I was traveling to Karachi, Pakistan, and we took a stop at Doha Airport located in Qatar and there I found hand-held bidets in the bathrooms. I was thrown off a bit by the device, but when I used it I found that the bidet had saved a great deal of toilet paper usage in the bathroom because water is already proven to clean more efficiently than toilet paper, hence the water and soap we use after the toilet.

When I arrived back in the United States, I began doing research on bidets and toilet paper and found that bidets are the norm in Europe and some Asian countries, which explained the fact that the 10 most environmentally friendly countries in the world are all in Europe, according to Forbes.

On the other hand, toilet paper is making the climate crisis worse.

The environmental impact of toilet paper is significant. Three hundred and eighty-four trees are used to make one person’s lifetime amount of toilet paper, which is terrible because trees are one of our ways to combat climate change and not to mention the rapid rate of deforestation disrupting the wildlife residing in the forests and the reduction of rainfall in certain areas which contributes to more global warming according to WorldAtlas.

And not only are trees being wasted, but so is water. According to Scientific American, toilet paper requires approximately 473,587,500,000 gallons of water to be produced for Americans, which breaks down into 37 gallons of water for one roll of toilet paper. These numbers are alarming not only because of the environmental harm but the insufficiency of toilet paper does not justify the numbers.

I started my journey to combat climate change from my 10th-grade year when I found the Climate Change Club at my high school with a group of friends. When COVID-19 occurred, toilet paper was in high demand and becoming rapidly insufficient; however, the water from our sinks, showers, and toilets never runs out. Water has many benefits whether it is being the universal solvent to being a necessary natural resource, we can consider the possibilities of using bidets or mini showers in the bathroom.

Taking toilet paper out of your bathroom means you joining the climate fight and saving 384 trees and 37 gallons of water

Eman Ahmed, Sterling

9 thoughts on “Letter: Eman Ahmed, Sterling

• 2021-10-31 at 9:27 am

“[T]he water from our sinks, showers, and toilets never runs out.” The lack of logic here is stunning.

The author has exposed his own indoctrination. This is what Loudoun County schools are producing.

Take your children out of the public schools. Teach them how to think. Don’t allow the public schools to indoctrinate your children what to think.

• 2021-10-31 at 10:12 am

The letter writer makes a very good point. I’ve used a bidet before & it’s very cleansing. I think it would be great if society would move towards eliminating toilet paper & establishing bidets. Anything to keep the environment green, I’m all for.

• 2021-10-31 at 1:56 pm

I feel sorry for the trees as I will not be switching.

• 2021-11-01 at 4:46 am

Metro removed all 748 of the 7000-series railcars from service two weeks ago as part of the investigation into the derailment of a Blue Line train October 12. The 7000-series railcars, Metro’s newest, make up 60-percent of the entire fleet.

• 2021-11-01 at 11:41 am

“Government does nothing well.” In fact, government usually makes a complete hash out of everything they touch. WMATA has been a disaster for decades but they know it doesn’t matter because regardless of how badly they fail, the rest of the government will bail them out. We can thank Matt Letourneau for his vote to hang this albatross around the necks of Loudoun County residents for eternity.

• 2021-11-01 at 12:44 pm

“however, the water from our sinks, showers, and toilets never runs out.”

The writer has absolutely no concept of what it takes to provide water to homes, and how fragile the system is. Astonishing.

• 2021-11-01 at 5:12 pm

C’mon now.

You would generate thousand upon thousands upon thousands of cubic yards of construction debris if you remodeled every bathroom in Loudoun in order to add bidets to existing construction.

So let’s fill up our solid waste facility in order to save water? Great idea.

• 2021-11-01 at 7:44 pm

“the water from our sinks, showers, and toilets never runs out.” Oh boy. Someone is extremely naive. Does the author think the Water Fairy just keeps replenishing our water supply? Please, young person who is just now finding out what a bidet is, do some more research. Also, if you go on Amazon you can find out how to turn your toilet into a bidet in 5 minutes.
    During COVID-19 (is that over yet?) when “toilet paper was in high demand..” it was due to selfish people who wanted to make sure they, not their friends and neighbors, were taken care of so they hoarded the supplies. That is a look at the future that you should very much want to avoid.