Letter: FW Lillis, Leesburg

Editor: This is in response to the criticism, instantaneous and pre-emptive, of the announcement by President Biden of vaccine mandates for certain populations.

The Constitution requires the president to protect the people of this country. While it is easy to see this role in a military way, in the case of the COVID pandemic, it is protection through public health. For the first months of the pandemic, the only tools were masks, quarantine and safe distancing, which shuttered restaurants, schools and more. Now we have a weapon, an effective weapon. Through Operation Warp Speed, there are vaccines which can tame the virus.

The country was beginning to control the virus until the Delta variant emerged. The data showed the vaccine had reduced the threat from the original virus until the new variant swept into town, decimating the unvaccinated. Think of Delta as a new pandemic, but this time we arm armed. The vaccine. Get it or return to the good ole days of quarantine and shutdowns.

Blanket resistance to all things Biden is reckless. Regarding his mandates, blind resistance ignores the science, and for those who don’t have access to that research, resistance ignores the headlines; hospitals filling with the unvaccinated. The good news is that folks are ignoring “leaders” and getting the jab.

Sometimes common sense makes more sense than thoughtless resistance. Think of this country with everyone vaccinated. That’s the path to freedom.

FW Lillis, Leesburg

12 thoughts on “Letter: FW Lillis, Leesburg

• 2021-11-08 at 6:12 pm

Your masks and mandates are unproven hence your common sense is bs!

• 2021-11-08 at 7:19 pm

If truth be told, I’m a bit disappointed with Joe Biden. Don’t get me wrong. I could never vote for Donald Trump. But Mr. Biden is a career politician. I don’t feel connected to him in the least. And I don’t take everything he says as gospel truth. (Sometimes I can’t even understand what he’s rattling on about.) Regarding the Covid vaccine, I had two jabs of Moderna. As far as I’m concerned, that’s enough. I don’t intend to get involved in ongoing booster shots. Yes, I wear a mask when in a situation where it’s required. But enough is enough!

• 2021-11-09 at 12:08 pm

Since truth is being told would you vote with anyone with an R after their name?

• 2021-11-08 at 8:33 pm

The American people do not need to be forced to introduce something in their bodies that they do not want and for the people who are afraid of getting the virus, they are more than welcome to get “the jab”. The people who do not want the vaccine will take their chances. Their unvaccinated status means nothing to anyone but themselves and it appears to be a chance they are willing to take. Do you think that vaccinated people cannot spread the virus? If you think that, you’re completely wrong. Every day now we have vaccinated people turning up positive for the virus, so they are spreading it and many of them don’t know they are.
    If everyone who wants the shot gets it, then those who don’t should have nothing to worry about.
    Oh, and the comment that people refusing the shot is an effort to resist the President, you are wrong. Those people don’t care who the President is, they’re not getting the shot. This vaccine(s) were developed under the Trump administration and people still refused to get it. As a matter of fact, I would argue that more people would not have gotten the shot under Trump because the people that hated him did so with so much hate they could not see straight. Besides, we all know Biden would have never gotten a vaccine developed within a year, it would have taken this administration much longer than they would be in office to get it done.
    Finally, don’t discount for one minute the fact that the human body makes its own defenses and it is very possible that people are not getting as sick as they were before because the human body is doing its thing and fighting off the virus.
    Before you go yelling that I’m a anti-vax nutjob, I will share that I am fully vaccinated and have been for many months, I just believe in “my body, my choice”.

• 2021-11-08 at 10:00 pm

I have had both shots and will soon be getting the booster,so my comments are not opposed to the vaccine.

The argument that the numbers dropped were because of the vaccine are misleading and short-sighted. The numbers also dropped because of the deaths of those infected. Then you have those infected that survived and built immunity. Finally you have those infected but never reported that remain free of second infections. So while I don’t see the vaccine useless I don’t give it the credit our bumbling President seems to do. Yes I disregard anything he says but at least I use my own brain to think logically.

• 2021-11-09 at 8:41 am

Interesting that the Biden Administration (under the guise of employee safety) has chosen to use OSHA as the mechanism to mandate/enforce vaccinations in the workplace. Given that we now know the virus can be carried and transmitted by those who have been vaccinated, the Biden OSHA regulation falls short and is woefully inadequate. In order for employees in the workplace to be “safe” from the transmission of the virus, additional personal protection measures are necessary. The Biden OSHA rule (in order to be completely effective) must also mandate/enforce employees to wear approved face coverings and mandate/enforce employees to wash their hands frequently. Without these additional personal protection measures included, the Biden OSHA regulation is worthless and employees are not fully protected from exposure to the virus in the workplace.

• 2021-11-09 at 10:40 am

I am going to suggest the author of this letter read the actual constitution focusing on Article II. It does not convey dictatorial powers to the chief executive in any instance and most certainly not when it comes to private, personal medical decisions.

If the president can dictate health care decisions then there is nothing the president can’t dictate. And if that is the case, none of us are free citizens of a constitutional republic. We are reduced to serfs of the state at that point.

• 2021-11-09 at 5:46 pm

The Biden administration is allowing illegals to enter the country without Covid tests and/or Vaccinations and yet citizens are required to get vaccinations, this does not make sense.

• 2021-11-10 at 10:20 am

This has never been about a virus with a 99% survival rate. This is about control – pure and simple. Masks are ineffective – there is no scientific data supporting mask usage. (See: Fauci emails) Politicians are routinely photographed maskless – rules for thee, not for me! If there was actual concern about the virus, we would not have a wide open Southern border where unvaxxed and potentially ill illegal aliens are dispersed into the US in secret. Payment to illegal aliens ? C’mon man!
    Get a vax if you feel it is beneficial to you – I did. But if vax actually worked, you wouldn’t be concerned about people who choose not to be vaxxed. Dementia Joe doesn’t have all his faculties. He poops in his pants for Pete’s sake. CPI inflation printed at 6.2% this morning. Like Afghanistan, the border crisis, unions controlling schools – All self- inflicted wounds. Wake Up!

• 2021-11-11 at 3:21 pm

“This is about control – pure and simple.”

The height of hubris is to imagine that you are important enough that a global pandemic was started so a vaccine could be created and masks worn so that YOU could be controlled. Nobody wants to control you. They just want you to stop doing stupid crap that endangers other people through your selfish, thoughtless actions. I find it interesting that those who complain the loudest are the ones who are most interested in controlling others — others’ reproductive rights, others’ sexual preferences, others’ ability to live and work in a healthy environment. The hypocrisy that goes hand in hand with the hubris of those ranting against “control” is without equal. I fear for our society because fully one half of it has dedicated itself to the destruction of the other half in some kind of Pyrrhic victory / death cult approach to “winning”. Maybe don’t worry so much about being “controlled” and learn to worry more about the health and well being of the other people you share this planet with?

• 2021-11-10 at 4:12 pm

Thank you, Dr. Lillis, for a reasoned letter advocating for prudent actions to combat the COVID crisis.

The “let’s stick it to the Libs” approach of refusing to vaccinate, refusing to wear a mask, and holding super-spreader events has taken a catastrophic toll on our country. Funny how those vaccine hold-outs cry out to their health-care professionals for the vaccine as they are intubated, only to be told it’s too late.

Instead of holding up as “Patriots” those who try to tear down our government and way of life in the name of “free-dumbs”, perhaps we should dub those who are doing all they can to halt COVID as Patriots instead.

• 2021-11-11 at 12:43 pm

“free-dumbs”[?] Civil rights are “dumb?” I miss the old days when democrats actually used to care about civil liberties. Now, they’re all in a race to see who can sound most like the Stasi.