Letter: Dan Stapleton, Aldie

Editor: It makes me sad that Leesburg police officers have resigned over COVID vaccine mandates. It also angers me that these individuals seem to have put politics ahead of public health and everyday reason.

For me, I was both an opportunity to get vaccinated and an obligation, my contribution to public health. I was in the Navy for a career, received my inoculations with appreciation and got our kids shots as required by the school system.

Then I watched this process unfold.

First came the claim that COVID was “a hoax.” Then it was a scramble to develop a vaccine as it appeared on the distant time horizon. Finally, its availability was very limited and it was assumed everyone would get it at the earliest opportunity. But it became a political issue as social media and some media outlets spread conspiracies about dangers and effectiveness, sometimes spun up by the vaccine’s “emergency authorization,” somehow twisted to mean “experimental authorization.” Social media also helped spread ideas about how to avoid the mandates using religious and health excuses to avoid these lifesaving shots.

This is about public health and preventing the spread of a dangerous disease, but some have taken it as a challenge to “manliness” or some new “government control.” I say, “roll up your sleeve” and quit complaining.

Dan Stapleton, Aldie

7 thoughts on “Letter: Dan Stapleton, Aldie

• 2021-12-10 at 6:11 pm

Your previous LTE attempted to draw a comparison between the Covid “vaccines” and other, time-proven and highly effective vaccines.

It was a weak (at best) argument.

Now you’re desperately playing the the politics angle.

Again, weak.

You make the following claim:
    “This is about public health and preventing the spread of a dangerous disease…”

Please explain how the Covid “vaccine” has *prevented* the spread of the virus. The science proves otherwise. “Vaccinated” humans can both become infected with the virus AND transmit the virus to others.

Nothing has been prevented.

Why not trust others to do what they believe is best?

• 2021-12-10 at 6:28 pm

Remember when Kamala Harris claimed she wasn’t taking any vaccine Trump suggested? Or the time the current occupant in the WH scoffed at any vaccine pushed by the then president? Or serial sexual abuser Andy from NY, who killed tens of thousands of elderly people for no reason, scorned any vaccine the then administration pushed?

Yeah… Good times. Good times.

You do you Dan. Let others do their thing.

• 2021-12-10 at 7:53 pm

I’m vaxxed with two (2) jabs of Moderna. But I respect those who choose to go a different route. It’s not my place to tell them what to do. Many people still see the Covid vaccines as experimental. That’s their right. Nobody can hold a gun to their head & force a vaccine upon them. By the same token, I support Leesburg’s right to dismiss its workers who refuse to be vaccinated. Hey, that’s life. It’s not always fair. Happy Holidays Loudoun!

• 2021-12-10 at 10:35 pm

How do you know the choices those now former cops made was political? Do you realize a lot of people have legitimate medical reasons and fears for not getting the vaccine?
    Whatever happened to “My body, my choice”? I say if people don’t want to roll up their sleeves and get vaccinated, then leave them alone and let them live their lives, and continue their jobs. If they’re not afraid of dying from the virus, then it’s not our job to worry for them. I have my shots, it’s a choice I made, and I don’t care what choice others make because it should be THEIR choice.

• 2021-12-11 at 10:57 am

Whoever said Covid was a hoax? I had it — it’s very real. But I still don’t want a mRNA injection that was rushed to market by the Trump Administration — especially now when I already have antibodies. And riddle me this: Why do I need to get the mRNA shot for yours to work?

• 2021-12-12 at 12:55 pm

Since when are one’s personal medical decisions the business of anyone else ?? The vaccine mandates are a serious overstep, especially when vaccinated people can become infected and transmit the virus. Not unlike any other medical decision, the decision to get a Covid vaccination or a Covid booster shot is inherently personal. Nothing more and nothing less.