Facing High Demand, Loudoun County Expands Free, Twice Weekly COVID-19 Testing

Loudoun County has announced it will continue hosting free, drive-through COVID-19 testing events twice a week on Tuesday and Fridays, with the next two events Jan. 4 and Jan. 7 at Philip A. Bolen Memorial Park in Leesburg.

The announcement comes after both testing events this week closed early due to overwhelming demand, with the Tuesday event reaching capacity in less than an hour and today’s being filled up in about 90 minutes.

Loudoun Health Department Director Dr. David Goodfriend said the problem is the limited number of available tests. He said the demand for testing now is the highest it’s been since the earliest days of the pandemic.

“We knew it was going to be high—we didn’t expect it to be as high as it was today, which was over 2,000 people, and that was with us having to turn many people away, unfortunately,” he said Tuesday. Before the holidays, he said, those events were seeing around 200 to 250 people.

Facing that heavy demand, the county will be holding twice-weekly testing going forward. Testing will also begin at 9 a.m., an hour earlier than the events this week, and the second day of testing will be Fridays instead of Thursday.

“Increasing access to testing is important as we see a surge in infection rates in our region,” Goodfriend stated in the county’s announcement. “Additionally, because it is possible for fully vaccinated people to become infected and unknowingly spread the virus, getting tested when you may have been exposed to COVID-19 or when you’re feeling sick is a critical step toward limiting the spread of the virus.”

Since the COVID-19 testing program began, the county has held the free, drive-through testing events at rotating sites around the county. Because of the increased demand for testing, the county is holding next week’s events at the largest of those facilities, Bolen Park, and going forward will announce testing locations on a week-to-week basis based on demand.

People seeking to be tested should enter the park on Crosstrail Boulevard from Sycolin Road. The testing events are free and open to all, with no age or residency requirements and no prescriptions or appointments necessary.

Registration forms are available to complete before arriving in English and Spanish to speed the process, at loudoun.gov/COVID19testing. Registration forms will also be available onsite.

In addition to the COVID-19 testing events hosted by Loudoun County, there are other testing locations and providers in Loudoun and the region. Go to the Virginia Department of Health COVID-19 testing sites webpage to find a testing location.

Vaccines are also now available to everyone age 5 and older, and are available from medical providers, pharmacies, and the county’s Dulles Town Center vaccination clinic. Go to vaccines.gov to find a vaccination site or loudoun.gov/covid19vaccine to sign up for a vaccine at the county’s clinic.

The Health Department, school division, and Giant Pharmacy have also partnered to offer free walk-in COVID-19 vaccination clinics at elementary schools for all residents.

Anyone with questions about COVID-19, including the upcoming testing events, can call the Loudoun County Health Department’s information line Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 703-737-8300, or send an email anytime to health@loudoun.gov.

7 thoughts on “Facing High Demand, Loudoun County Expands Free, Twice Weekly COVID-19 Testing

• 2021-12-30 at 3:21 pm

I used the testing earlier this week. It took 2 1/2 hours to get through the line. Plan accordingly. But note that the PCR test results will not be available for up to 5 days after the test.

The card you receive when tested says “Four-Day Test Turnaround” but it lists three steps that may take up to five days.

If you need to know your status NOW, look for another testing facility.

• 2021-12-30 at 3:44 pm

I’m afraid some folks are getting carried away with testing. They want to be tested constantly. That’s really taking things to an extreme extent. After all, we have to go on living our lives. And we can’t live in fear. Take reasonable precautions. Lead a healthy lifestyle. Do your best. Then, the heck with it. Happy Holidays Loudoun!

• 2021-12-30 at 5:50 pm

I agree with you on this! Are all these people exhibiting signs? Why are the testing lines so long??!! If I feel ok and have all my shots I have better things to do than sit in a line for 3 hours and waste a test that someone might really need. There should be some requisites to get tested. These lines are ridiculous..oh, wait..GET VACCINATED! And if you are and feel ok get out of the line! Good grief!

• 2021-12-30 at 4:37 pm

So if you’re positive the quarantine is 5 days but I saw on the News that results are taking a week. I don’t claim to be a Dr. but some does not seem right.

• 2021-12-31 at 9:49 am

We were exposed to Covid in Sunday. Two family members had flu-like symptoms. Three family members got tested on Monday. All were negative for Covid but one was positive for flu. I got tested on Tuesday. I had the same flu-like symptoms starting Wednesday. The symptoms worsened on Thursday but I seem to have turned the corner last night. I’m self-medicating with OTC cold and flu remedies. It’s Friday and I don’t have my test results from Tuesday. I doubt I have Covid as everyone living at home is Covid negative but I do want to be considerate of others and make sure I am negative before I resume normal activities. It’s just the considerate thing to do.

I don’t know anyone who is “tested constantly.” Twenty two months into the Covid disaster I have been tested once, two days after exposure. But I know for a fact a large educational institution in Loudoun County requires all employees to be vaccinated, wear masks at the office and get tested every two weeks. That seems excessive. It also means they believe the vaccine is ineffective. The two people who exposed me to Covid were also vaccinated. What are we to conclude about the efficacy of the vaccine?

• 2021-12-30 at 5:34 pm

Can someone explain why anyone would want to learn about their Covid status five to seven days after the fact?

I fully admit that I am totally lost.

• 2021-12-30 at 5:51 pm

While testing is overdone and the more you test the more asymptotic people you find, it really is ANOTHER instance of Democrat incompetence. All levels of government should have been concerned about the lack of a stockpile of tests available. All levels of government for us in Loudoun are Democrat controlled. You didn’t see this coming after two years of a pandemic? Thank God we have an incoming Governor and slate of state officials that can accomplish something other than change the name of a road.