Vaccine Mandate Deadline Approaching, Resignations in Leesburg Continue

With one week remaining to comply with the Town of Leesburg’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate, resignations of town employees and board and commission members have continued.

According to Public Information Officer Betsy Arnett, the number of resignations from the Leesburg Police Department now stands at nine, up from seven just a few weeks ago. That department represents the largest number of resignations since the Town Council voted Oct. 12 to impose the mandate, with the deadline for employees to be fully vaccinated by Jan. 11.

Altogether, 14 full-time employees have left town employ since the mandate vote, with seven of those employees tying their resignation to the mandate. Four part-time employees have resigned, including three in the Parks & Recreation Department, all of whom cited the mandate as their reason. Six members of the town’s advisory boards and commissions have resigned, but only two of those resignations were attributed to the mandate. All board and commission members must also comply with the mandate, with the exception of the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals. Arnett had previously stated because those bodies are state-mandated, there is no authority for the town to dismiss members for not complying with a vaccine mandate.

In addition to the nine police department resignations, three full-time employees have resigned from the Finance & Administrative Services Department; one from the Town Manager’s Office; and one from the Utilities Department. In addition to the three resignations from the Parks & Recreation Department, one part-time employee has resigned from Thomas Balch Library.

Of the two remaining full-time employees who are unvaccinated, one remains undecided and one has indicated they will not comply, and hence will either resign or be terminated by Jan. 11. Two part-time employees have indicated they will not get vaccinated, and four part-timers are undecided. One board or commission member is undecided, and seven have not yet responded to the town.

In subsequent meetings leading up to the mandate compliance deadline, there have been several attempts by council members Kari Nacy and Suzanne Fox, the only two council members to vote against the mandate, to rescind the Oct. 12 action. However, remaining council members have voted to remove those motions from council agendas without allowing a vote. The council’s next business meeting is the same date as the deadline, Jan. 11.

Mayor Kelly Burk, who first introduced the vaccine mandate, said this week she has no plans on propose the COVID-19 booster shot be added to the mandate. Burk said she is, however, looking at incentives to encourage employees to get their booster shots, such as offering time off work or holding a booster shot clinic in a convenient location.

15 thoughts on “Vaccine Mandate Deadline Approaching, Resignations in Leesburg Continue

  • 2022-01-04 at 3:28 pm
    Permalink

    I know of at least one municipality that’s giving its workers a $300 bonus for getting vaccinated. I think that’s ill-advised. Government workers tend to be overpaid already. I hate to see them giving each other bonuses. If someone doesn’t want to be vaccinated, I sympathize. But hey, that’s life. It’s not always fair. Get a job in the private sector. Happy New Year Loudoun!

    • 2022-01-05 at 11:53 am
      Permalink

      If the are getting vaccinated for $300, I question their commitment to whatever reason they used not to get vaccinated.

      That being said $300 is cheaper than the cost it will take to replace them. Damned if you and damned if you don’t.

  • 2022-01-04 at 4:00 pm
    Permalink

    It sounds like the number of anti-vax resignations is smaller than the headline implies and certainly not significant to impair Town government operations. I hope the Town holds firm on the mandate and adds a booster requirement.

    • 2022-01-05 at 10:45 am
      Permalink

      The town and county boards have demonstrated they are “self-impairing” over the past two years. The decline in non-law enforcement staff may actually be a net gain for residents of the town.

    • 2022-01-05 at 2:28 pm
      Permalink

      Exactly. Would be nice if the article gave us some context as to how many employees have done the right thing (would appear to be just about all of them). Even if they don’t want to do it for themselves, hard for me to understand how public facing employees would put their fellow citizens and colleagues in danger by not getting vaccinated.

      • 2022-01-05 at 7:18 pm
        Permalink

        If most of Loudoun were as misinformed as the anti-vax contingent here in the comments section, we’d likely all be dead already. Classic free-rider problem. Most of us are getting vaccines while a few aren’t and they’re causing the problems for us all…even as their ability to survive without antibody protection is the result of our having been vaccinated (and lowering the overall risk). Shame we have so many misguided souls walking among us.

  • 2022-01-04 at 4:08 pm
    Permalink

    Loss of livelihood for a vaccine that isn’t one? The CDC had to change the definition of vaccine, because this experimental mRNA technology (untested in humans) does not prevent getting COVID. It also doesn’t prevent its spread. In fact, we now know that early treatment far exceeds any benefits of the vaccine. The side effects are horrendous. Read the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), the reporting system of the vaccine’s adverse events. You would weep. And become enraged. I am reading Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.’s book, The Real Anthony Fauci. You need to do the same. You will understand why so many informed people don’t want the vaccine. Your leaders apparently aren’t interested in learning the truth to understand the stupidity of their mandate.

  • 2022-01-04 at 5:03 pm
    Permalink

    Vaccine mandates are a way for Democrats to purge independent thinkers who don’t follow their bad science.

    I hope class action lawsuit lawyers are kept fat and happy for decades.

  • 2022-01-04 at 5:57 pm
    Permalink

    I wonder if it will ever become obvious to the politicians, that the vaccine does not prevent, getting nor the spread of COVID, especially the variants! The only thing it has been promoted for is a 95% chance you will not have a serious reaction from it… Which by the way is 1% higher than the actual original stats, which average out to 4 % of those actually exposed will have major symptoms

    • 2022-01-05 at 2:52 pm
      Permalink

      That right there is a fat lie. Politicans have been saying you will be completely protected, you won’t transmit, you won’t catch and you won’t die. Google it.

  • 2022-01-04 at 7:39 pm
    Permalink

    Vaccine mandate: One easy way to clear government of swamp creatures who are either beholden to ideology over of the health and welfare of our community or are mentally incompetent to make logical decisions based on facts after sifting through and eliminating a thicket of conspiracy theories and scams. In either case, we will be better off not paying them to “govern” us.

  • 2022-01-04 at 8:41 pm
    Permalink

    You don’t have to read all of Mr. Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.’s book; the first 95 pages are enough to learn what you have been prevented from knowing about the pitfalls of mass vaccination. Page 82: “An October 3, 2021 study by scientists at Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health compared vaccination rates for 68 nations and 2,947 counties across America as of September 21, and compared them to COVID-19 cases per one million people. Their report concludes that nations and counties with the higher vaccination rates do not experience lower per capita Sars-CoV-2 cases.” Mass vaccination isn’t stopping the spread. On the same page, Kennedy debunks Fauci’s lie about the unvaccinated causing 98% of serious cases, hospitalizations, and death. “Real-world data from nations with high COVID jab rates” reveal the increase of adverse events is by the vaccinated! So why are Leesburg’s leaders demanding employees get the jab???

  • 2022-01-05 at 2:48 pm
    Permalink

    Fauci – lied about kids with covid
    Fauci – lied about masks
    Fauci – lied about this not being transmissible after vax
    Fauci – lied about not dying after vax
    Fauci – lied about not dying because of vax

    All the lies, all the bribes, all the promises to shut down the virus have failed. At this point governments are doing more harm than good to people. We should have an honest reckoning of that.

  • 2022-01-05 at 3:10 pm
    Permalink

    I can’t say it shocks me that so many of the anti-vaccine commenters are the same people who generally take a MAGA-like position no matter the logic of an issue. This isn’t rocket science or a conspiracy. There’s a virus spreading and killing people who aren’t vaccinated with the wonder drug that was created during the Trump administration. Substitute “snow tires” for vaccine and you see just how stupid some are being. I refuse to put on snow tires because it’s my car, my choice and my freedom. The effectiveness of snow tires is not proven except by studies carried out by the manufacturers of snow tires. I can’t trust that. My neighbor had an accident even after he was using snow tires on his car. Some drivers are on their 3rd set of snow tires so obviously they don’t work. We don’t know what those tires are made of. Tire manufacturers push them on us during winter just to enrich themselves. If you have snow tires, the government can track you in the snow. Educate yourself, stop being sheep! Say no to snow tires!!!!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: