Letter: Jim Vogt, Purcellville

Editor: I begin with a clarification I should not have to state—I am neither a Democrat nor a Republican.  I do not endorse the current president nor the immediate past president. However, I have and will continue to vote in each election. Of recent, it seems that vote is always cast to the candidate that is the lesser of two evils. Something must change that.

There is a major shift going on in our political landscape. Over the past several years, I have witnessed members of each political party lobbing ever-increasing insults and accusations at one another. While this has always been a part of American politics, our current political landscape is not status quo. The average American, who typically does not engage everyday politics has suddenly become a political activist. The premise of these insults and accusations has a direct correlation to the “perceived” views of the other side. Don’t be fooled. The “perceived” views are created and flamed by the very people you and I have elected to office. They are using us as puppets and chess pieces in a game to push their own personal agenda(s).

We have been convinced that to achieve victory, one’s chosen party must be in power. This is simply not true. When you have a properly functioning government with healthy negotiations, there will be victories on both sides of the aisle, regardless of party majority. It is the political extremists from each party (wolves in sheep’s clothing), and you know who I am referring to, that are creating the roadblocks to the true intent of the framers of our Constitution. When was the last time a beneficial, bi-partisan bill was passed? In the private business world, you and I would be fired for this type of inaction.  So why should we tolerate this in the government world? This is on the politicians; not us. We must hold them accountable.

Let’s all stand up to say enough is enough, use our collective voices to be heard, and exercise our right to vote. I’m not going to suggest you vote D or R, but I will suggest we stop voting for the extremists in any political party; the individuals that lack civility, are incapable or unwilling to engage in fair negotiations, or the ones that push false conspiracy theories (yes this comes from both sides of the aisle). These are the corrupt politicians that are turning brother against brother, neighbor against neighbor, friend against friend and slowly destroy our democracy.

At the end of the day, aren’t we all Americans? Political views aside, we have like ideals and strive for similar things—love, health and happiness. It is time to end the strangle hold elected officials have on us Americans. Standing together, we are stronger.

Jim Vogt, Purcellville

18 thoughts on “Letter: Jim Vogt, Purcellville

• 2022-03-20 at 4:43 pm

Jim, you are confused on a number of issues.

1. Our constitution set up a process to amend it, albeit one that has a high bar. However, in an attempt to change the ideological makeup of voters, the Democrats have opened the borders to encourage an unlimited number of Latin American illegal immigrants into the country. Democrats know that even if they cannot pass amnesty, those illegals will have children who can vote in 18 short years and who are inclined to have a positive view of socialism. Such traitorous acts to illegally change the voting populace has no compromise. It is a much greater affront than anything alleged of Trump.

2. Up until the 1930s, the govt did not transfer private property (“benefits”) from some citizens to others. Social security and the follow-on programs of Medicaid, food stamps, and the Earned Income Tax “Credit” changed all that. Now, half of American household pay NO FEDERAL income tax. They receive handouts from those who work and not only pay for ALL of our country’s services (military, judiciary, federal agencies, etc), but they have their property confiscated to provide an affluent lifestyle (relative to almost any other nation in the world) for those who don’t support themselves. What is a “fair share” to be paid to the 50% of folks who are sucking on the teeth of their fellow taxpayer? The answer is none unless those want to transfer money. Yet Democrats demand whatever amount they wish to be transferred to those dependent on government while the Democrat policy takes credit for money that isn’t even theirs.

3. The Democrat party has simply torn up the freedoms and rights granted to US citizens. LCPS, run by Democrats and RINO allies like Jeff Morse, proudly proclaim that any critical comments about others are not allowed by students. Meanwhile, they practice actual racial discrimination by barring students of certain races from participating in some programs and openly advocate discriminating based on race for Academy admissions. This is widespread from TJ high school to private colleges who are barred from such racial discrimination under Title VII. Yet, Democrats want to double down on this racial discrimination.

When you have nearly half the country openly brag about how they plan to flaunt the constitution because they believe it is too hard to meet its requirements for amendment, how does that get resolved? The best case is an amicable divorce and self-determination. I have no inclination to live with Democrats who openly and repeatedly lie (see Phyllis Randall, Mike Turner, Julie Briskman just right here), who believe they have unlimited claims on our private property to transfer to their political patrons, who proudly discriminate based on race, and who openly illegally censor speech. The only difference between my side and their side is that I have no problem if they live in their doomed utopian fiefdom separate from those of us who respect freedom. They, on the other hand, depend on the confiscation of other people’s resources and an authoritarian grip on the people to carry out their ideology. An amicable divorce is in order. Certainly domestic violence should not be the solution but the Democrats seem to do everything in their power to bring that about.

• 2022-03-21 at 5:48 pm

The original poster is spot on. Your comments provide a perfect example of what he was calling out. There is no middle for you, only extremism. In your view, everyone on the “other” side is a demon and must be destroyed at all costs. Only you can be right — any other views MUST be wrong and evil.

• 2022-03-22 at 6:07 am

I see your reading comprehension skills from that government education are lacking.

I did not say the other side was evil. In fact, I noted that most opposing radical Leftist views don’t want to control how the leftists live. If they want to implement socialism in their community/state, I couldn’t care less. But that is not what this country was founded on.

We agreed upon rules from the founding of the US. That constitutional amendments would be hard but possible. That our nation had borders. Tell me, oh Leesburg, if the Dems would keep open borders, knowing those kids drain many more $$$ from local government to educate than poor native kids, if the Dems were not looking to stack the electorate? Those poor immigrants aren’t allowed to settle next to the Biden’s or Clinton’s or Kaines. That policy demonstrates how dishonest and ruthless Dems have become, to openly violate the law to gain electoral power even if they would never do such a thing if they had a leftist state to themselves.

You either believe in barring racial discrimination or not. The Left clearly believes that they should discriminate racially. You either believe in private property or shared communal property or not. The Left’s insistence on an ever-growing “fair share” of productive Americans’ income to transfer to non-productive Americans (not to pay for govt roles like the military or judiciary but to PAY others just to breathe) cannot be reconciled with private property.

The point of federalism and states rights was to allow folks to choose their flavor of government. The people have been sorted along ideological lines, not regional lines like in the US early days, such that there are no obvious compromises to make both sides happy. A slim majority of one side “rules” over the other. Who wants to live like that? Couples divorce when they want to live their lives differently.

The question you must ask is if your party lost elections for the next 20-30 years, would you still want to live in a combined nation? The question is not can you lie (censor bad stories about the Biden’s), cheat (flood the country with illegals whose families will soon get voting rights), and steal ($$$ from those who work to give to those who do not) to gain control of your spouse/ideological opponents. If you wouldn’t want to live under political control of the other party for 20-30 years, it is time to think about splitting. For goodness sakes, how many people do you know who won’t buy ANYTHING from a company that disagrees with their ideology? We are half divorced already.

• 2022-03-22 at 11:31 am

You continue to prove my original point. I believe the vast majority of people in this country are reasonable. There are extremists on both ends (See Exhibit A, above). We just can’t let them dominate the conversation.

I certainly don’t need a constitutional law lesson from a raging keyboard warrior. I love this country, despite its flaws. Perhaps you don’t (“divorce” nonsense). Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

• 2022-03-24 at 8:52 am

Leesburg, a typical Marxist Democrat, cannot refute anything I said. He doesn’t disavow that he thinks your money is the government’s money to hand out to freeloaders on political whims. He doesn’t deny he supports boycotts based on political grievances including when state governments have boycotted other states (see California bar use of funds in Texas or Florida). He doesn’t deny he wants to bar school choice using government funding, a la healthcare choice using government funding, precisely because he thinks the schools can indoctrinate your kids.

He doesn’t deny any argument I make. He simply thinks the illegal practices of the Democrats, like open borders, may give his party an electoral advantage soon that can be wielded to subdue his political opponents. He doesn’t love anything about what this nation was founded upon – private property, free exercise of religion even in the midst of woke radicals, and personal responsibility. He likes what he thinks his Marxist allies can turn this country into

• 2022-03-21 at 6:59 am

Maybe if election pamphlets did not identify which candidate is from which party, voting (especially in local elections) was required to get the best property tax rate etc, candidates were of a higher quality (especially in local elections) and we had term limits the situation would improve. The thirst for power seems to drive a lot of divisive discourse and time that could be used to critically think about what the best solutions are for well defined problems instead of campaign donation related loyalty. Can anyone name 5 problems actually resolved in our own county since the last election? Are road names, old statues, a challenged school system and perennial stadium nonsense gestures really what we kick in almost $3 billion every year for? 🙂

• 2022-03-21 at 8:10 am

I like Jim Vogt’s point of view. It has a moderating effect, which is so needed in Loudoun County. Unfortunately, a few extremists have tried to hijack the local narrative. But I don’t think they’ll succeed. As Jesus said: “Come, and let us reason together.” Reasonable minds shall prevail. And I’m convinced Loudoun will remain the Land of Love. Welcome to Spring Loudoun!

• 2022-03-21 at 8:34 am

Excellent idea. There are far too many practicing performative jackassery in government today. I guess the truly outrageous ones like Green and Boebert cause the focus to rest on the GOP but there are similar characters on the Democratic side (of course, controlling everything but the Supreme Court at the moment, they’ve toned it down for now but they’re ready to chase cameras when the time is right).

• 2022-03-21 at 11:38 am

Cat got your tongue Facts? Let me help you out with the leftist authoritarian fringe a little closer to home: Buta, the School Board, Wexton, Briskman, Big Talk Turner, Phyllis, living in her very own snow globe, and only cares about which party you’re in. State Sen. Bazooka Johnny Bell. Pretty much all of the state delegates, and most of the state senators. Our two completely worthless “yes men” senators on The Hill. We’ll set aside the freak show at 1600 Penn Ave for now.

We have the worst possible people in charge at the worst possible moment. None of these people care about you Facts. Not a one. It’s about them and control. D-R… it’s all the same, and you don’t fit into their club.

• 2022-03-21 at 9:43 am

Well said. I agree with every word. I hope that there are more folks like you and I, but sadly we are frequently dismissed as either Rinos or Dinos.

• 2022-03-21 at 10:57 am

It’s amazing how an “independent” politician who has never won a town election can say almost nothing in 462 words. Tell us what you would do to resolve issues facing our towns and counties. Tilting at anonymous windmills doesn’t help.

• 2022-03-21 at 5:51 pm

Thank you for posting this, Jim. The extremism, polarization and demonization of fellow Americans who have different viewpoints is what is keeping us from finding common-sense solutions to the serious challenges facing us. We have simply got to stop voting for extremists from either party.

• 2022-03-21 at 10:29 pm

I believe the extremism is the result of people getting their news and information from social media and celebrities, along with the complete and flagrant dishonesty of the US Media.
    When I was growing up, there were only a handful of differences between Democrats and Republicans- taxes, religion, abortion, among them. During the Reagan years, I was in my early 20’s and I never knew that Ronald Reagan and Tip O’Neill were on opposite sides of the aisle. They always seemed respectful of and courteous to each other.
    I also remember an America where my great grandfather was extremely happy to come to this country and he was proud to learn the English language, work hard, contribute to society, and call himself an American. He didn’t come here with a hatred of the country, with the sole purpose of taking everything he could get for free, showing no interest in learning to speak English, and demanding that the rest of us adjust to his native language and demanding that he shouldn’t have to work.
    For years, I considered myself a moderate. I voted with my heart- did I feel like the person running was a good person with good intentions? I voted the issues based on how I felt, not along a party line.
    What changed? Well, in my opinion, the Democratic party went off the rails at some point, going so far left that there seems to be no limit to how left they’ll get. The anger in that party is unreal- the Democrats used to be the lovable party of “peace and love”, but now they’re all angry and full of hate. If you do not agree with what they say, they will try to demean or cancel you. This has pushed people in the Republican party further to the right, so that there can be no more common ground and you must fully immerse yourself in one party or the other. Social media is a large cause of this. There was a time when you didn’t know or care who your neighbor voted for, but now? Well, if your neighbor voted for a different person than you, you must hate him and never speak to him again.
    Frankly, I miss the days of civility and courtesy, but I do not see us ever going back unless young people stand up and make changes, but I don’t see that happening either.
    In my career I have traveled the globe many times over and there is no place better than America and it’s not even close, but we’re trying our best to ruin a good thing and it has me very worried.

• 2022-03-22 at 11:00 am

I think you hit on a couple of really good items. Social Media is full of clickbait echo chamber stuff that is more concerned with generating false impressions with specially crafted headlines/titles. Because of that, people are getting their “news” from unverified, poorly researched, or what would have once been considered an opinion piece. Celebrities seem to think that because they are celebrities their opinions are far more important and correct, and most times are based entirely on a lack of knowledge. If I wanted opinions and advice on acting, playing certain sports, or whatever their specialties are I would certainly consider them to be experts and would seek their advice.

In general, politicians are always trying to distract us while they increase their power. In practice I find that Republicans like to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with some really idiotic comments, and Democrats have gotten very good at projecting their flaws onto everyone else.

• 2022-03-22 at 11:34 am

Now I’m not going to disagree with many of your points, but I will respectfully point out that certain elements of the Republican Party are being cheered on for their hatred and lack of civility.

• 2022-03-23 at 9:49 pm

Hatred and lack of civility are taken directly from the Democrat playbook. Mudslinging has been around for at least 65 years, it’s just gotten dirtier.

• 2022-03-23 at 8:40 pm

Too bad the Capital wasn’t really taken over on 6 January last year.