Pio Elected New GOP Committee Chairman, Eyes New Direction for Party

The Loudoun County Republican Committee on Saturday elected Scott Pio its new chairman. He plans to take the party in a new direction that emphasizes conservative family values and election security.

“It’s going to be a very big strategy change. I personally ran for this office to have a strategy change. … Too long have we sat down and not done enough to change our voters’ mind about things,” Pio said.

Pio takes over the helm from former Chairwoman Sharon Sadler. The committee reported that 704 members cast votes in the election for a new chair.

Pio, a Sterling native, ran against incumbent David Reid for 32nd House District seat in 2021. Reid was re-elected, with Pio receiving 39.8% of the vote. That race was emblematic of Loudoun Democrats surviving the red wave that swept Virginia in 2021. Gov. Glenn Youngkin won 50.6% of the statewide vote, but only 44.2% of the vote in the county.

“The seven-year plan is to flip Loudoun from blue to red. We’re going to change the 10 or 15 percent losses we’ve been suffering and were going to convert them into the losses that we’ve had into two percent three percent wins,” Pio said.

Much of Pio’s vision for the party is rooted in education, which was a flashpoint issue for Republicans during the gubernatorial and statehouse races, as Youngkin frequently pointed to the Loudoun County School Board’s handling of cultural issues and a sexual assault scandal.

“The attack on parents and the attack on kids from the school system and the state has not done well for anybody. I’m a parent of the school system.  I’m not going to take this sitting down, I’m going to start standing up and taking the county back,” Pio said.

Parents and activists, concerned over pandemic-related school closures, progressive social policies, and the administration’s supposed culpability in the sexual assault of a student, flooded the division with Freedom of Information Act requests and mobilized a School Board member removal effort.

Pio is a father of two, and said he sees family values as a powerful motivator for voters.

“We’re going to start sharing conservative ideas about the Constitution. We’re going to start sharing conservative ideas about the family. We’re going to start sharing conservative ideas that we really care about what happens to the kids in the community,” he said. “We’re going to start doing this on one of the largest scales you have ever seen the republican party undertake.”

Pio’s focus will be on re-energizing the GOP voting base.

“To be fairly candid with you, I’m not as well-versed on the county issues as I could be. I’m not a Board of Supervisor. I don’t attend School Board meetings as much as I should or could,” he said. “I can’t speak about what the board of supervisors are doing versus affordable housing, versus even the innerworkings and the details of the schools. We’re going to start checking our voters in because they have been checked out for far too long because we have not done enough work as the Republican Party,” Pio said.

Though Pio sees opportunity to turn out more conversative voters, he praised officials who he sees as GOP standard-bearers in the county.

“Geary Higgins is the strong persona of the GOP. I would say that Sheriff Chapman is a strong representative of the GOP. There are many conservatives who are living the conservative lifestyle and a patriotic lifestyle. I do believe that there are many, many, many conservatives in the county and we are not doing enough to go after them. Or doing enough to go after out soft R’s or our soft D’s,” he said.

Of one of the most divisive topics challenging the Republican party, the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the Capitol, Pio said he does not have an opinion. But, the controversy that sparked the incident that left four people dead, is a very real issue to Pio.

“I don’t know if I have an opinion on January 6. I don’t know all the details of it so I can’t make assumptions. What I can tell you is that conservatives are very worried and concerned and want to have clean and fair elections. We are doing work to guarantee that Virginia and Loudoun County has clean and fair elections,” he said.

Pio frequently spars with his local liberal foes on Twitter, a tendency that Democrats have tried to use to their advantage for fundraising. After he was elected chairman, the Loudoun County Democrats sent out an email to supporters pointing to a tweet from Pio suggesting that removing vessels from the oceans might lower sea levels. Pio indicated that those jabs are a part of the political game.

“Good for them. I don’t mind,” Pio said of the fundraising strategy.

Some of his more eyebrow-raising tweets have included exchanges with County Chair Phyllis Randall, suggesting that there should be a men’s history month and that mid-20th century, outdated school curricula on slavery are acceptable history lessons.

He said that the Twitterverse is a contortion of the populace, where radical views pit users against each other.

“Too often the politicians who are tweeting about me, the local ones and also in the senate, they have not been listening to the other half. They know that they have enough voters in Loudoun County that they don’t have to listen to the other half. We’re going to change that by changing voting demographics in Loudoun,” he said.

17 thoughts on “Pio Elected New GOP Committee Chairman, Eyes New Direction for Party

• 2022-03-22 at 2:47 pm

Pio’s ignorant tweets are already disqualifying, which of course means the fragile right wing faction of today’s Republican Party thinks he’s great.

Crying about the lack of a Men’s History Month? Spoiled, indeed.

• 2022-03-22 at 3:50 pm

“Geary Higgins is the strong persona of the GOP.”
    Bless Mr. Pio’s heart. If this is the future of Loudoun’s GOP, we wish them well in their future endeavors.

• 2022-03-22 at 4:02 pm

If this guy is representative of Loudoun County, I need to move. Out of the County, that is.

• 2022-03-22 at 4:53 pm

“I don’t know if I have an opinion on January 6”. Are you kidding me??? I am a republican and you and the so called standard bearers of the GOP embarass me. I guess you are the answer to the radical progressives. My question to the “soft” republicans and democrats – where did common sense go? Why aren’t there more moderate people on both sides that are willing to work within the system? People that are intelligent and pragmatic, not wrapped up in some hateful ideology.

• 2022-03-22 at 5:52 pm

Excuse me. In the interest of truth, ONE person died as a result of January 6. She was an unarmed military veteran shot to death by a Capitol Hill police officer. Repeating a lie over and over and over, still does not make it true.

• 2022-03-22 at 7:08 pm

Mr. Pio is too far-right for my cup of tea. I believe the vast majority of Loudouners will reject his extremist views. Fortunately, Loudoun Blue remains firmly entrenched. I see it getting stronger, not weaker. Please don’t forget that Loudouners clearly rejected Youngkin (Trumpkin?) at the last election. Thank goodness for that. Welcome to Spring Loudoun!

• 2022-03-23 at 4:11 pm

I wonder why people hate their own freedoms and liberty so much that they would rather live under the tyranny of Democrats and the left? The futures of their own children will be destroyed by the lies and misrepresentations of evil. One definition of insanity is to keep voting for Democrats and expect things to improve and be different; of course, you are threatened by truth. Biden and those under him, all the way down to Loudoun County Democrats have given us, and will continue to give us, inflation, useless Marxist mandates, Fascist Healthcare and CRT crap. In exchange. Democrats will take ones freedom and liberty. Democrats offer nothing of value!

• 2022-03-22 at 7:51 pm

I would have to be drugged, drunk, mentally ill or a mix of all of them to vote for any GOP candidate in local, state or federal level. The GOP has become anti-American and only interested in pushing their own careers and agendas. My mom, a lovely 80 year old, who voted GOP her entire life, has thrown away her GOP membership, she is embarrassed by the party. The likes of Taylor Green, Boobert, Noem, Cruz, McConnell etc. She will never vote Red again. That says a lot to me.

• 2022-03-23 at 6:47 pm

The amount of vitriol and lies against the previous POTUS that you have approved for publication which is well documented. Pure hatred.

But some mild criticism of the current losers in charge is strictly verboten.

You people are truly vile. Anything goes, but only if it’s in support of the (D) party.

• 2022-03-22 at 8:25 pm

Give this guy a little bit of credit. At least he knows that he doesn’t know a thing about Loudoun. Just that he has political ambitions and he hopes he can be divisive enough to further them. Please…don’t we have enough jackasses in politics already?

• 2022-03-22 at 8:29 pm

Mr. Pio is barely coherent. His election hand-outs read like they were written by an eighth grader. A hate filled eighth grader.

• 2022-03-23 at 8:34 am

Good job Loudoun Republicans. Putting Pio at the helm is exactly why your party continues to be doomed.

• 2022-03-23 at 4:43 pm

I cannot believe the Loudoun GOP picked this guy. I would’ve voted for a paper bag before I’d vote for Pio to represent us. Don’t they know how he treated voters when we came to vote?

• 2022-03-25 at 6:35 am

Boys, suck it up, Pio won.
    Nonsense about his radical views is hyperbole he wants to grow the committee, raise more money and elect more republican candidates to office, something Sharon Sadler, Jim Bonfil (HB), Will Estrada, and Mark Sell all did.
    I am for Creal French but realize I have candidates like the lovely Suzanne Fox, stand up and do the work Mike Rivera, notables like Jeanine Lawson who all deserve our support.
    Because we won the 3 state houses is no reason to stop electing good people to office, we have seen the horrors brought to us by the democrat incumbents. Politics is a participation sport get in the fight whether it be as part of the Loudoun County Republican Committee or working for candidates or a pac. Reconcile your difference and do the work I intend to.
    Jonathan Erickson
    ex Algonkian District Chair

• 2022-04-25 at 6:30 am

Well Pio did not age well. 185 thousand views of the Roland Martin podcast with over 4300 comments. None in favor of his bigoted remarks. You have to wonder why the republican hierarchy has not condemned Pio’s remarks about Black Women of power?

• 2022-04-26 at 2:28 pm

Last night he offered up the limpest apology known to man, it sounded like he was bragging about how stupid he was on the Roland Martin podcast. We know he has no clue about Delta, the Divine 9 or apologies.

• 2022-05-09 at 1:14 pm

The democrat’s best friend, Scott Pio.
    212 thousand views of the Roland Martin podcast. Nothing but negative comments!
    Bungled ranked choice voter flyer to disenfranchise 54% of the republican candidates.
    As the Chair he managed to skip the Purcellville Arts and Craft show that has been a mainstay for years.
    Shows up to event not dressed to Hosts requests, no respect.
    Talks about his own party’s candidates behind their back!