Dulles Airport Eyes All-Electric Bus Fleet

The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority has purchased five fully electric-powered buses from Proterra Operating Company Inc. for use in its fleet of parking shuttles at Dulles Airport. The purchase, funded by a grant from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, is a step toward the MWAA’s goal operating a sustainable fleet of low- or zero-emission ground transportation vehicles. 

The purchase includes ZX5+ buses, as well as three Proterra 150-kilowatt charging stations. The buses are scheduled for delivery and initial use in early 2023. They will replace five older diesel buses. The initiative is one of several to replace vehicles in the Airports Authority’s fleet with greener alternatives, including the transition of airport operations and police vehicles to hybrid models. 

2 thoughts on “Dulles Airport Eyes All-Electric Bus Fleet

  • 2022-03-30 at 7:09 pm
    Permalink

    Kudos to MWAA for being so civic-minded. “Going green” is the wave of the future. The naysayers are fighting a losing battle. With any luck, Loudoun will lead the nation in this effort. Happy Leslee King Day Loudoun!

  • 2022-03-31 at 4:33 pm
    Permalink

    Loudoun County Public Schools’ $200,000 share of the state’s $1.5 million in federal aid to replace diesel school buses would have been better spent on propane school buses rather than electric.

    Why? The answer is cost. The district could have purchased four propane buses for every one of those electric buses, taking more diesel buses off county roads faster and sending those savings right back into the classroom.

    Just like electric buses, propane buses eliminate the harmful black smoke that comes out of a diesel tailpipe, while drastically reducing emissions like nitrogen oxides. At the same time, they take the pressure off our fragile electric grid, and there are no concerns about eventual battery disposal.

    At 400 miles, they also have four times’ longer range than electric buses, helpful especially for after-school activities. And, refueling takes minutes, as opposed to hours for recharging.

    The district’s new and existing electric buses will ultimately constitute just 1.4% of its overall school bus fleet. As for the remaining 98.6%, the cost and emissions benefits of propane will allow the district to better serve its students and community faster.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: