Letter: Lynn Davis, Sterling

Editor: As a proud ally of the LGBTQ+ community and a Loudoun resident for over 32 years, these past years have been tough on the LGBTQ+ community.

We have seen a dramatic uptick in hate and violence against the queer community across the United States, demonized by bad-faith actors and demonized in service of political agendas.

At a time when many would have expected the LGBTQ+ community to shrink backward, Equality Loudoun is pushing forward. Loudoun’s largest and oldest LGBTQ+ nonprofit is hosting Loudoun Pride on June 26, a festival slated to bring in thousands of community members and allies from across the DMV area to celebrate our shared humanity.

With all its community and family activities, I believe that the event will give our community a much-needed celebration of our shared humanity, and I can’t wait to attend.

Lynn Davis, Sterling

7 thoughts on “Letter: Lynn Davis, Sterling

• 2022-06-07 at 9:15 am

I hope everyone attends Loudoun Pride on June 26. Someone recently noted on Facebook: “Pride goeth before a fall.” That’s very true. I don’t think anyone should walk around being conceited & egotistical. But that isn’t the case for the LGBT+ community. This month gives them a much-needed morale boost. What could be more wonderful? Happy Pride Month Loudoun!

• 2022-06-07 at 10:57 am

What kind of celebration did you do for Memorial Day or D-Day?

• 2022-06-07 at 1:16 pm

Well norges53,

I’m a transsexual Marine Veteran. For Memorial Day, I think of the funerals (and memorial services – no body found) of Marines from my unit. My brother, also a Marine veteran, lost much of his unit and many friends in the Beirut Barracks bombing. We talk about that sometimes.

For Veterans Day, I celebrate my friends and all those that served. I don’t do either very publicly.

Tell me, do you ask people celebrating Easter or Christmas the same question? Really, any other group you’d ask the same question?

• 2022-06-07 at 2:15 pm

On Memorial Day I went to Arlington National Cemetary to visit the grave of my Father-in-law.

D-Day was yesterday and did have towork but I have beem to the D-Day memorial in Bedford VA several times. Did you know that Bedford VA lost more soldiers than any other place?

Did you know that many who have served in the military are also members of the LGBTQ+ community and they deserve all the same respect as every other service member?

Happy Pride Month!

• 2022-06-07 at 1:12 pm

Please provide more details about this alledged hate and violence you mention in the United States. How does these events relate to your rights in Loudon County or Viriginia? Do you feel the government is infringing on your rights? What rights, if any, are being affected in Loudoun or Virginia? Are these right supported by law or are the perceived? Im having a hard time understanding what there is to be so proud about.

• 2022-06-08 at 4:23 pm

How about a resolution for those who are not included in this group H Pride month?